Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is my chemical product in good condition?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is my chemical product in good condition?

New owner of an old pool, bunch of chemical buckets that I need to dispose if no longer useful...

So, I have a Sodium Hypochlorite bucket, I opened it and I got the expected strong smell of Chloride, however, instead of the expected white powder I got an "Oatmeal" like product...

My first guess, this once was powder but some how got water inside the bucket and now I have some "Sodium Hypochlorite Oatmeal" that I dont know if I can still use or if I should dispose?...

Thanks in advance for your comments

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is my chemical product in good condition?

If you have the slightest question about it, I would just toss it. No telling what it is. The previous owner may have even re-used the bucket for something else.
    TF-100 | 13.6k gal (24' Round) AG | Chlorine | Sand Filter | Two Speed Motor | Installed June 2014 | Last Opened April 24 2016

3. Back To Top    #3

You sure it is sodium and not calcium? Sodium is a liquid. Although I have no idea if it is still useful.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Calcium it is sorry, my bad... Shirker is probably right, although the smell clearly tells me its chlorine, it may be already degradated and may cause a mayor problem... I am all pro-bleach anyways

thank you very much guys