Phenyl red for PH

Blue114

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 25, 2012
Brisbane , Australia
Hi there,

I'm in Australia

I have a Taylors test kit and have run out of reagent R-0014. I purchased a generic phenyl red from the local store but it is way milder / weaker and I estimate I need about 3 times as much. So its not accurate with their test gear.

I can't get the reagent in Australia and the postage from the states is like $45.00 for a tiny bottle . Should I just buy a readily available ph test kit ($10.00) and use that or do you recommend I stick with the Taylor's.

Thanks
Brad

Looking at the MSDS on the taylor site r-0004 and r-0014 seem to be the exact same thing (phenol red). I assume they have different codes because one goes in the K-2006 and the other goes in another kit. if so there is a crew selling taylor products domestically in australia now apparently; I got my K-2006 from the states ages ago but I'll probably use these guys for refills. though they appear to be out of r-0004...

Taylor's PH test is better compensated against interference than other brands. In practice that means that it works at higher FC levels than other brands. At low FC levels they are all good. As FC goes to 5 or higher, the Taylor test starts to be significantly better.

The difference between R-0004 and R-0014 is concentration. You can use either one, but you will need a different number of drops. R-0004 is more concentrated, so you don't need as many drops. Varying the number of drops changes the intensity of the color, but not the shade. What matters is the shade, so just use whatever number of drops you need to get the result to be easily read and you will be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.