Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What contributes more to pH rise?

1. Back To Top    #1

What contributes more to pH rise?

In general....which contributes more to the constantly rising pH in a SWCG pool?

The by-product of SWCG production (sodium hydroxide) or aeration?

Just curious.....
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What contributes more to pH rise?

The by-product of the SWG ... is ... aeration.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hmmm... Ok. I don't understand that unless your talking about the hydrogen gas that also is produced?

I was talking about the aeration through water returns above the water lines..sconces, waterfalls, etc...
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

An swg is mostly pH neutral when accounting for chlorine loss. Aeration is virtually all of the cause of pH rise.

5. Back To Top    #5

As described in this post, the production of chlorine in a saltwater chlorine generator or the addition of a hypochorite source of chlorine raises the pH, but the consumption/usage of chlorine is acidic where the net result in both cases is pH neutral. The exception is the small amount of excess lye in hypochlorite sources of chlorine and any undissolved chlorine gas from the SWCG that outgases.

Most pH rise in SWCG pools is from carbon dioxide outgassing which is higher when there is more aeration. The hydrogen gas bubbles in the SWCG aerate the water and as I mentioned there can also be some undissolved chlorine gas outgassing. The latter can occur more if you have a short pipe run from the SWCG to the return in the pool. If that is your situation, you can try pointing the return more downwards (or diagonally down for a round pool). As for minimizing the carbon dioxide outgassing, lowering the Total Alkalinity (TA) level and having a higher pH target will reduce the rate of pH rise. As shown in this chart pools are over-carbonated compared to the equilibrium amount of carbon dioxide from exposure to air. Finally, after lowering the TA level, using 50 ppm Borates provides additional pH buffering without being a source of rising pH itself.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

What is define as a short pipe run? Mine is well over 40' so I wouldn't think that would be short...
    Is the equation set at the top of page 4 in this link
    http://www.lowrycg.com/wp-content/up...pH-and-Alk.pdf
    correct?
    If so, what creates the bicarbonate?