Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cloudy water

1. Back To Top    #1

cloudy water

completed SLAM due to mustard algae. Overnight residual showed clear. Water is pretty but cannot see bottom of deep end yet.

20,000 gal vinyl
    Started using bleach 1 week ago after joining this site.
    All values are good.
    Should I use some type of clarifier?
    Filter sand has not been changed in 5 years.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cloudy water

Welcome to TFP!!!

If you can not see the bottom, then you are failing 1 of the 3 criteria used to determine when you have completed the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

I think you need to review the process ... also post up a full set of test results as "values are good" is meaningless to us.

Please add your pool details to your signature and as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Jason has given good advise, but to answer your last two questions-

No to adding clarifier. It is used in some unusual situations, but with what you have described you are not near that yet.

Generally it is not necessary to change the sand in your filter. It really doesn't wear out. The filter may need a deep cleaning, but that is something to deal with later.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Tim 505:

I have a Sand Filter and finished my first Season. Rarely backwashed as the pressure stayed pretty constant. I believe 2X in the summer. Had to backwash a few times during construction and the release powder for the stamped concrete. Now the question is "What and How do you deep clean a sand filter". We were told that you should replace your sand every 3-5 years. Unless I have bird waste and other contaminants in the system, why would it need to be changed? And is it not chlorine that cleans everything up? I am very picky about a clean pool. If a leaf is in the pool for more then a day, that is a lot. I work from home a few days a week so it is easy for me to clean the pool during a break.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

5. Back To Top    #5

Take a look at this for deep cleaning a sand filter. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-a-Sand-Filter.
    Hope this helps ya out. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Catanzaro View Post
    We were told that you should replace your sand every 3-5 years.
    The folks who told you it needed to be changes probably sold that "service". Sand really doesn't wear out. The link Jeff posted shows ho to do a deep cleaning.

The only time I'm aware that TFP recommends a change is when switching from Baqua (peroxide based) sanitation to chlorine.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon