SWG Systems and hot tubs: A good idea or not?

Sep 14, 2014
Calgary / AB
Dear Tubby-Peeps,

As I look into salt water chlorine generator systems, I start to think that they are primarily aimed at swimming pool owners.
(Their capacity is usually in the thousands of gallons, instead of a few hundred).
Doe anyone make a plumbed-in / pipe-connected SWG system primarily aimed at hot tubs?

As my tub has a cover over it 90% of the time (i.e. when we're not in it), isn't there an issue with gassing off?

When I add dichlor, I have to leave the cover open for at least 45 mins to allow for the gas to escape and not get trapped, where it could attack and damage the underside of the cover.

Do SWG systems create any gas when they're generating chlorine?
If they do, how does a hot tub owner get around this, when our lid would be closed most of the time?
(Come to think of it, does bleach create gas when added to the tub water?)

Also, do SWG systems use a large amount of electricity?
Do they cost a lot to run?
I've heard that the electrolytic cells need replacement every 4 - 5 years, and they don't sound cheap!

I've seen a Jacuzzi pipe-connected SWG system available for the same Canadian cost as a Hayward AquaTrol RJ system.
As I think my tub will need to be plumbed in / piped, I'm not sure if the RJ system will work for me.
Are the Jacuzzi SWG systems any good?

It would certainly look good to have a Jacuzzi SWG system on my Jacuzzi J480 tub..!

There are separately added systems into the bulk water such as ControlOMatic TechniChlor, Saltron Mini, Nexa Spa, AquaBlue, but inline systems are generally offered as options by the spa manufacturers and not as add-ons. There is SpaPilot that is available both inline and over-the-wall and ControlOMatic ChlorMaker has an inline version.

Just keep in mind that some spas use less expensive metal components such as lower quality stainless steel and therefore can be damaged more quickly by the higher salt levels required for a saltwater chlorine generator (typically requiring 2000 ppm salt in a spa).

There would be no difference in terms of hot tub cover damage with an SWG vs. manual dosing (Dichlor, bleach, or any other chlorine source). if you were to have your cover off after a soak then chlorine by-products can outgas. However, the SWG doesn't normally produce enough chlorine fast enough to handle higher bather loads so usually you use the SWG for a background level in between soaks and you still manually dose after your soak. Some models have a "boost" mode so you can have the SWG generate more after your soak (technically it just stays at 100% for a while). This can work for moderate bather loads, but probably not high ones.

Note that you want to add some CYA to the water otherwise the chlorine from the SWG will be too strong just as adding bleach without any CYA already in the water would be too strong.

The electricity cost for the SWG would be negligible. Yes, the cells need to be replaced, but the units generally aren't as expensive as pool units.

I can't help with the inline part, I have a Saltron-Mini over the wall type that I keep placed in my filter compartment (my tub has an always on circulation pump). The Saltron Mini has a digital timer and runs X hours out of every 24, so I keep mine set to come on at about midnight and run for about 2 or 3 hours enough to maintain FC level, I also have a Del brand ozonator. Overall I am happy with this system, but wish it had a little finer grained control on the timer, of course I also have a small 210 gallon tub so it might not be so bad with a larger tub.

I can't help with the inline part, I have a Saltron-Mini over the wall type that I keep placed in my filter compartment (my tub has an always on circulation pump). The Saltron Mini has a digital timer and runs X hours out of every 24, so I keep mine set to come on at about midnight and run for about 2 or 3 hours enough to maintain FC level, I also have a Del brand ozonator. Overall I am happy with this system, but wish it had a little finer grained control on the timer, of course I also have a small 210 gallon tub so it might not be so bad with a larger tub.

I just got the Saltron Mini. My hubby asked if we could put the unit in the filter compartment? I wasn't sure...have you had any issues with it being in the filter compartment?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.