Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: slamming question

1. Back To Top    #1

Lake Jackson,Tx. 45 miles south of Houston

slamming question

I am in the midst of slamming my pool. Trying to get the FC up to 18 (according to the chart) if I am reading it correctly. CYA is around 45.
    Please correct me if I am wrong.

My question is what do I look for during slamming? What is my objective? Once I reach my objective, then what?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    13,500 gallon pool without a spa Inground
    Pool built by previous owner in 1995 but replasterd in 2008
    DE filter (pentair FNS plus 48,Challenger 3/4 hp pump,In line chlorinator (switching to liquid bleach)
    Using TF-100 pool testing kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: slamming question

The objective is to kill all the bad stuff in the water. To do that you get the FC level up to shock level and keep it there as long as it takes to meek the three objectives:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
    You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
    And the water is clear.

What you should be looking for may be different depending on what caused you to start the SLAM.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

You should read the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3
    Elverson Pa.

Re: slamming question

Review the SLAM Process and when you have some specific questions don't hesitate to ask. Do you have one of our recommended test kits ?
    If you think your CYA level is closer to 50 than 45 use 20 as your shock level.
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.