Need advice regarding how to proceed with newly filled pool

Sep 20, 2014
NY
I inherited an AG pool, oval 26x15' when I moved into my house 3 years ago. The pool had called into disrepair and I essentially had a swamp in there, filled with algae, bugs, and frogs. Well the pool has now been completely overhauled. New liner was placed this week, and I have now filled the pool to just below the skimmer and return. I want to keep the water clear for next summer. Problem is I'm in NY and it is essentially pool closing time. The guy who repaired the pool told me to just get a closing kit and then cover the pool and recommended not connecting to filter until next season. Is this sound advice or should I be balancing chemicals before winterizing? And should I be running the filter or is it ok to leave it until next season? I had gotten a new filter and it is still in the box. TIA

Welcome to TFP. !
If it were my pool I would get things balanced. Plus it'll be good so you'll have an idea on what to do when you open in the spring. It won't take much. Adjust PH if need be, chlorine and some stabilizer. You'll need to run your pump and filter also. You won't need a closing kit either from the pool store. All you'll need is some stabilizer, bleach and maybe some muriatic acid if your PH is high.
In order to do all this your going to need a good test kit that will give you accurate test results. No pool store testing or test strips as they are not up to the task of giving accurate results. These are the Test Kits we recommend. I use the TF100. It's the best value.
Next I'm going to suggest you read the article in Pool School on closing an AG pool. The key in closing and opening is water temp. You want the water temp below 60 in both cases. Low 50's is what I shoot for.
Here are a few other articles to read from Pool School.
ABC'S Of Pool Water Chemistry
How To Chlorinate Your Pool
Recommended Levels
Take some time to look over the articles I gave you and when you have questions ask away !
Also if you could add all your pool and equipment info to your sig that will help us better help you. ?

Thank you for your helpful response. I've done a lot of reading but pardon me I'm still confused because I've never had a working pool before. Since it's an AG pool with vinyl liner, based on what I've read I've come to the conclusion that I should perhaps dump a container of liquid bleach into it then test the pH a day later?

And if I am to run the pump and filter, that means I have to get the water level to be above the return?

Thanks

You need to have the water level half way up the skimmer opening for your pump and filter to run.
The more I think about this,being new to pool ownership, it may just be easier for now to just use the closing kit and cover it. Then when it's time to open we can get you pointed in the right direction using the methods taught on the forum. What is your water temp and volume ?
You can spend the winter reading on the site and you'll have a good grasp on how things work and getting a good test kit which is going to be a must have to use our methods. ?

Do you know what your water volume is, how many gallons ? You should get a thermometer. In closing the water temp should be below 60. That'll help in opening to clear water.
How long has it had water in it and did you add any form of chlorine ?

I put in a gallon of bleach. How do I know if that is appropriate for the water volume? I want to go ahead and run the filter because I anticipate it's going to be a couple of weeks before we can close the pool, and I already have a bunch of bugs floating on the surface.

Old inherited AG pool
26'x15' oval, 48" depth

I put in a gallon of bleach. How do I know if that is appropriate for the water volume? I want to go ahead and run the filter because I anticipate it's going to be a couple of weeks before we can close the pool, and I already have a bunch of bugs floating on the surface.

Old inherited AG pool
26'x15' oval, 48" depth
Pool Math at teh top of the page can get you in the ballpark of what to add, but one of the recommended test kits will be necessary to verify that it worked out like planned.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.