Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: suggestion for pool deck

1. Back To Top    #1

suggestion for pool deck

I just had my stamped concrete deck poured today, the "back" side of the pool is higher than the side of my existing interlock deck due to the grading of my yard. The back end is about a foot and a half above ground level. They poured the concrete today but the side where it slopes to ground level is just crushed stone, about a foot and a half long at about a 45 degree angle. Any suggestions on what to do to hide the crushed stone? i was thinking of putting some topsoil and rolls of sod. Any other suggestions?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: suggestion for pool deck

I would bring in 4 or 5 yards of topsoil and roll out some grass
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah i think thats what ill do unless someone else can suggest something.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I think it depends on how you want to use the area. Sure you can add the soil and do grass. Keeping in mind that you have to mow close to the pool. But that also makes the area wide open for play. Two other options are soil added but a little lower then fabric and stones or soil and landscaping with mulch. I'm a landscape guy so I'd vote for the latter. How you plan to use the area dictates a lot. I did landscaping with mulch on about 1500 SF around ours. But we do also have 4', 10', 12' and 15' of concrete deck before the mulch.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

i just want to put something there that 1. wont be as ugly as the crushed stone 2. will keep the crushed stone in place. My pool builder suggested i put that black cloth stuff and then river rock, but im quite certain the river rock wont stay in place as the slope is too much. I dont want to level it out too much as behind that, about 5-6 feet is my fence so i cant bury the fence.

6. Back To Top    #6

How about a low retaining wall and flower beds? Otherwise I would go with the sod.
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

7. Back To Top    #7

I would do a 12"-16" rock boarder using 2-3" rocks (bull rock, Mexican pebble rock, Quartz) then grass.

This will help keep the grass out of the pool when you mow the lawn.
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

8. Back To Top    #8

How about laying down some good soil and planting ground covers that need little maintenance. We've ordered groundcover from these folks and love it- http://www.stepables.com/

My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain