Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pump not working

1. Back To Top    #1

New pump not working

Hi folks,

I moved into a house with a 10K gallon pool about 1.5 yrs ago. I'm still learning how to maintain a pool and this site has been a huge help. Pool came with a Pentair Challenger pump (1.5 hp) that has been working okay since we inherited it. Had some issues with air in the intake--nothing major, but enough to spur an overhaul with new o-rings. Pump worked fine for ~2 mo after that. Started getting noisy about two weeks ago, got progressively noisier, and woke up last week to find that the pump was running without water flowing through it. Wouldn't prime. I suspected the pump was toast and bought a 2-speed Pentair Superflo. Installed it today and found that it seems to be running (motor-wise) fine, but not priming. I'm now suspecting that the old pump was fine, and that I have a big leak in my underground intake plumbing. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pump not working

Have you tried pouring a bucket of water into the strainer basket before the pump with the pump running, and the putting the lid back on quick?
    Cheers, Peter
    20,000 gal, 52'x17' kidney shaped IG, Pebble Tec, IntelliPro P6E6VS4H-209L pump. Intellichlor IC40 SWG.
    300 sf Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter. Poolvergnuegen 4-wheel suction pool cleaner. TF-100 test kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

I always fill the pump after draining it and before starting it, but have not tried turning it on first, then pouring more water in before closing the basket lid. What's the thinking behind that move? I'm certainly willing to try anything before I start digging up the plumbing!

4. Back To Top    #4

No. You should not turn the pump on with the lid off. There is no way you could pour in water and get the lid on fast enough.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Is the water level dropping? If not it wouldn't suspect a leak.

18x36 Vinyl, sports depth, 8' Roman steps at each end. Hayward 1.5hp 2speed pump, catridge filter, 2 skimmers, no main drain, 3 SR Smith Treo LED lights