Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shocking and Pool cleaners

1. Back To Top    #1

Shocking and Pool cleaners

The lady at my local pool store told me to remove my Polaris from the pool for 24 hours after I shock. She said this would extend the life of the Polaris because the plastic tubing and parts get bridle faster when exposed to high chlorine levels.

Houston-area (Katy, TX)
    10,000 inground plaster pool
    1.5 HP, 2-speed Hayward
    Cartridge Filter
    400k BTU gas heater
    E-Command 4 automation

2. Back To Top    #2

Tucson, AZ

Re: Shocking and Pool cleaners

I guess that depends on what "shock" is and how high your free chlorine concentration goes. No one here can answer you because we do not use one-time "shock" products nor do we condone their use. We follow a different methodology than the "advice" you get at pool stores. I put "advice" in scare-quotes because most pool stores give false, misleading, inaccurate and often wrong advice.

So the question for you is this - are you willing to dump the pool store and start taking control and responsibility for your own pool or are you sticking with the pool store?

if you are indeed using the TFP SLAM method than your cleaner is safe at shock FC levels as described in the article on FC/CYA relationship.

3. Back To Top    #3

Long Beach, CA

Re: Shocking and Pool cleaners

I would expose the cleaner and run it for a few hours at shock level and then remove it.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process