Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why does the pressure drop?

1. Back To Top    #1

Why does the pressure drop?

My "clean" pressure sits at 10 psi. When I add DE, it drops to 6. After a hour of filtering, it'll drop some more and more. I thought that when you added DE, the pressure would rise. Could my pump have issues also?
    27' AG 17,000 gallon
    Hayward 220 Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why does the pressure drop?

Pressure should rise. You may be adding the DE too quickly and it is clogging the impeller or something else in front of the filter or even the pressure gauge.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Pressure should rise. You may be adding the DE too quickly and it is clogging the impeller or something else in front of the filter or even the pressure gauge.
    Brand new gauge so I guess I'll take the impeller apart and take a look. I do add the DE fast but I thought it would still not clog the impeller. That stuff is so fine I'd of thought that it would just flow through. We'll see in a few minutes.
    27' AG 17,000 gallon
    Hayward 220 Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Did you add the DE before the new gauge was installed? DE can plug the small hole in the gauge.

Also, you should probably read this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-a-sand-filter
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Did you add the DE before the new gauge was installed? DE can plug the small hole in the gauge.

Also, you should probably read this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-a-sand-filter
    I added the DE about a week after I installed the new multiport. I actually have 2 gauges on this and they're both equal.

I just took the impeller apart and found nothing in there. I used an air compressor and blew the lines all out, so that tells me their clear. I do notice a couple of drips on the pump side of the multiport. Could the leak cause me to have a wrong reading? I just added DE again and the pressure dropped again.

So confusing.
    27' AG 17,000 gallon
    Hayward 220 Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

It almost sounds like the pressure gauges are after the filter instead of before the filter. That is exactly what would happen if the filter was installed backwards.
    Mark

7. Back To Top    #7

The gauge are after the filter. Holy ****!!! This is too funny if that is the issue!!!
    27' AG 17,000 gallon
    Hayward 220 Sand Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

The DE is causing a clog somewhere before the pressure gauges so that can mean one of two things. The clog is before the filter (e.g. multi-port, pump, suction line) OR the gauges are after the filter and the DE in the filter media is causing a lower pressure at the gauges.
    Mark