Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with pool losing water

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with pool losing water

Hi all,

First I hope this this the right sub forum for my question, if it's not, I'll move it somewhere else.

I drained my pool this August and repaint it. During the time of painting I didn't see any active cracks or leaks in my pool.

Then I put a newly bought hydrostatic valve (bought from Ebay) in the main drain instead of a solid valve cap.

After doing all this I decided it was too late to reopen the pool so I just filled the water to the half way and close the pool.

Today I opened the cover just to check out and find out I lost about more than a foot of water during the past month.

The pool was OK last year.

So I assume I did something wrong this year.

My question is:

What's the possibilities out there?

Is it because I turn some valves incorrectly? I didn't seal the main drain properly? The hydrostatic valve is faulty?

Basically I'm wondering what should I do to begin with?

I really appreciate your opinions, thank you!a

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with pool losing water

Welcome to TFP!!!

I would suspect the last thing you touched ... that being the new hydrostatic valve.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you jblizzle!

Since there are still a few feet of water at the deep end. Can I wait till next pool season to drain the pool and check the hydrostatic valve?

I don't know how much damage it will cause if I just leave it there as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Welcome to TFP!!!

I would suspect the last thing you touched ... that being the new hydrostatic valve.

4. Back To Top    #4

Depending on your ground water level, leaving the pool empty could be a problem. Although the valve should prevent issues. Why did you think you needed to install a hydrostatic valve?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!