Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I do this with the TF-100 test kit ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I do this with the TF-100 test kit ?

Guys,

OK, I read here that I can do FC test with using only 5ml of water with R-0870 powder and thus 1 drop of R-0871 will equal to 1ppm instead of 0.5ppm

Can I only read CC and do not do R-0870 powder....by doing this ? :
    01. 10ml water, add 5 drops of R-003....read 1 drop of R-0871 as 0.5ppm
    02. 10ml water, add 10 drops of R-003 ....read 1 drop of R-0871 as 0.25ppm
    03. 5ml of water, addd 5 drops of R-003 ...read 1 drop of R-0871 as 0.25ppm

Chemistry is so unique for me.... ..I am afraid the re-agent doesn't read well when diluted or concentrated

Thanks in advance.
    35,000 GL pool. In Ground. Concrete with all white ceramic tiles. Outdoor but shaded.
    Approx 36 ft by 15 feet. 2HP Hayward Super Pump, Hayward Sand Filter with Zelbrite ( Zeolite ), Hayward Cartridge Filter, Aquamatic Silver+Copper Ionizer ( suspended use since Oct 2008 ), Prozone Ozonator, 2 gram/hr, Analog Flowmeter on pipe

Back Up Pump & Filter on trolley, Pentair 1.5HP + Pentair Cartridge Filter, Slime Bag 1 micron Jumbo Size, downstream of Cartridge

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I do this with the TF-100 test kit ?

no, you cannot read CC with an FAS-DPD test without first reading the FC. The DPD powder is necesary. Changing the amount of reagent 3 will not really have much effect on the outcome of this test. It is simply potassium iodide and if any oxidizers are present such as CC or MPS or Ozone it will be oxidized to iodine which will turn the DPD red, which is then titrated with the FAS (ferric ammonium sulfate). The amount of iodone formed is dependant on the amount of oxidzer present. The 5 drops is enough to insure an excess of iodide in the sample.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you Sir !!!!!!!

Dang....chemistry is so.....tough for those who doesn't know it. Logic can't be used here....

I think I will soon be running out of R-0870+R-003+R-0871.
    I got 3 set. 1 that comes with the kit and 2 set extra.

Its like 1AM to 2AM in ur area now....burning midnight oil are you ?
    35,000 GL pool. In Ground. Concrete with all white ceramic tiles. Outdoor but shaded.
    Approx 36 ft by 15 feet. 2HP Hayward Super Pump, Hayward Sand Filter with Zelbrite ( Zeolite ), Hayward Cartridge Filter, Aquamatic Silver+Copper Ionizer ( suspended use since Oct 2008 ), Prozone Ozonator, 2 gram/hr, Analog Flowmeter on pipe

Back Up Pump & Filter on trolley, Pentair 1.5HP + Pentair Cartridge Filter, Slime Bag 1 micron Jumbo Size, downstream of Cartridge

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by SPP
    Thank you Sir !!!!!!!

Dang....chemistry is so.....tough for those who doesn't know it. Logic can't be used here....

I think I will soon be running out of R-0870+R-003+R-0871.
    I got 3 set. 1 that comes with the kit and 2 set extra.

Its like 1AM to 2AM in ur area now....burning midnight oil are you ?
    3:30 but who's watching the clock?

5. Back To Top    #5

So how does member here reads CC as 0.2ppm.....half drop of R-0871 ?

6. Back To Top    #6

To read FC and CC by 0.2 using the FAS-DPD test you need to follow the alternate directions for performing the test.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank u very much Jason....thank u.
    I try not too ask too much before trying the search engine.
    Prior to asking, I already did a search under "0.2ppm" but its too common and search engine won't display.
    Strange on the search for "TF-100".....below is what I get :
    No posts were found because the word tf-100 is not contained in any post.

8. Back To Top    #8

That happened to me too. Try TF100 or TF 100 with no hyphen....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks Mom,

Aha...hypen sensitive...
    261 results.....holy cow... ... it will take days to read thru
    Oky Doky, thanks again Mom