Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Are Winter Kits needed?

1. Back To Top    #1

Are Winter Kits needed?

Hello,

I was hoping to get clarification on if winter chemical kits are really needed for my pool (it's a vinyl liner inground with a mesh safety cover). Can you advise on what chemical maintenance is really needed over the winter? I'm wondering since I have a mesh cover if I'm just wasting the extra money on chemicals that are going to get diluted anyway. Thanks
    Pool Details: 40k Inground Vinyl Liner Pool with Mesh Safety Covering

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Are Winter Kits needed?

The only chemicals you absolutely need for closing are the bleach you already have if following TFP methods and RV antifreeze for the skimmers and lines. Polyquat 60 is an optional algaecide that you could add for some insurance but not required. Waiting until water temp is solidly below 60 degrees goes a long way as well.

Read through this guide Closing an In Ground Pool. There's also lots of user feedback in this thread that's also valuable http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...in-ground-pool

- - - Updated - - -

Also... adding your pool details to your signature and your location to your profile would be very helpful.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly JV Train!

I did happen to read through the Closing guide and there was no mention of winter chemical kits/chemical maintenance through the winter which is what lead me to posting. Also I had reviewed the other thread you linked to as well and it seems to veer off topic which you often see happen in threads which again leads me to posting my usually specific questions to hopefully get specific answers from the experts like yourself

I dont follow the TFP methods and this is also a salt water pool, so if its possible for you to just clarify what chemicals are needed at closing and chemical maintenance (if any) is needed over the winter id appreciate it. Currently, I assume and have done the following:
    1) Balanced Ph, CH, Chlorine, TA and CYA (Ive been told these levels dont change much if any through the winter so I assume nothing more is needed)
    2) Shocked the pool overnight
    Pool Details: 40k Inground Vinyl Liner Pool with Mesh Safety Covering

4. Back To Top    #4

You don't need any chemicals, besides the normal ones. Balance the pool, raise to shock FC level for at least a day (or complete the SLAM process if needed). Close it down.

Polyquat algaecides are optional.

The key is closing after the water is below 60 degrees and opening before it raises above 60 degrees.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    You don't need any chemicals, besides the normal ones. Balance the pool, raise to shock FC level for at least a day (or complete the SLAM process if needed). Close it down.

Polyquat algaecides are optional.

The key is closing after the water is below 60 degrees and opening before it raises above 60 degrees.
    This is the gospel. I close in November and open in March to a crystal clear pool. I add nothing to it, simply blow the lines, plug and done.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

6. Back To Top    #6

Are Winter Kits needed?

Yep the water temp is the key along with bringing FC up to shock level.
    When I opened this year in march I had 4 ppm of FC. That was 41/2 months closed. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.