Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calculate motor run time

1. Back To Top    #1

Calculate motor run time

My pool details are in my signature. I need help in calculating pool motor runtime. i.e how many hours I need to run at low speed and how many hours at High speed... Thanks a lot
    11000 Gallons, Cartridge Filter, UG, Plaster, Shasta pool, filter model Hayward C4030, Pump Motor Emerson 1-1/2HP Full Rated EB2977T, Pump model Northstar SP4010NS

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calculate motor run time

Read this, ask questions: Determine Pump Run Time
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Read this, ask questions: Determine Pump Run Time
    Ok thanks, based on that link, I will run the motor for 6 hours at low speed and 1 hour at high speed, Hopefully that will work.. Please confirm?
    11000 Gallons, Cartridge Filter, UG, Plaster, Shasta pool, filter model Hayward C4030, Pump Motor Emerson 1-1/2HP Full Rated EB2977T, Pump model Northstar SP4010NS

4. Back To Top    #4

Start from there and see what happens.

We're not trying to be evasive, it's just that you pretty much have to use trial and error to see what works.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

You very likely could run less time, but each pool is different. I have a slightly bigger pool than you, and a smaller pump, and most of the time I get by with 6 hours a day, 3 in the morning, 3 in the late afternoon, all on low. That helps me skim off all the pollen. In June, when the cottonwood trees are giving off their cotton, 24 hours is not really enough time, but then I would have to empty the skimmer several times a day, so I keep with 6 hours and also do some manual skimming. From July onward, I could get by with 4 hours or less, all on low. If you have lots of plants that are shedding leaves and other stuff or a lot of dust blowing, you might need more.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

6. Back To Top    #6

fatboysam, with that pool size you shouldn't need more than about 4 hours. I run my 20 k pool for 1 hour on high speed and 3 hours on low speed.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

I usually let mine run on low all day long to keep the water warm up and I try not to run it at night hoping that it will retain as much heat from the day as possible. But now that it is getting cool, I can run it as little as 2 hours on high each day. Just enough to circulate the chemicals and skim the ants off the top.
    TF-100 | 13.6k gal (24' Round) AG | Chlorine | Sand Filter | Two Speed Motor | Installed June 2014 | Last Opened April 24 2016