I think I turned 1 problem into 2!

Sep 18, 2014
Albuquerque
Just bought a house with an in ground pool. It's around 14000 gal with a Pentair FNS 36 DE filter. When we first got the house no problems at all. About two weeks ago I ran the vacuum and after about 3/4 of the way through it started shooting the vacuumed debris back into the pool (vacuuming on filter mode). Wasn't sure what the issue was, so I just left it alone. I ran the vacuum again today (just had our second boy so we were understandably busy!) and the same thing occurred. Here's where I think I made things worse.

I thought I may need to backwash the system so I looked up the manual online and started the process. Back washed until clear, no issues. Opened the air bleeder valve according to the initial setup instructions. Turned back to the filter setting & restarted. After a bit some water started coming out of the backwash pipe so I assumed (incorrectly?) that I could close the bleeder valve. Went to the skimmer and added 1 lb of DE. Ran it for a few minutes before I realized that I needed more so bumped it up to the 3.5 lbs as recommended.

Pump started and continued to blow cloudy water back into the pool, along with other debris. When pump starts it blows a ton of air into the pool before eventually settling down. Pool is much more cloudy than it's ever been before.

Now I'm not sure how to proceed. After researching I wonder if I should have been vacuuming on waste rather than filter. But now I think I screwed it all up. Is there air in the system and is that causing problems? Is the cloudiness from DE getting shot back into the pool? Do the grids in the filter need to be cleaned or replaced?Where should I start!?!?! I'd like to at least try to resolve on my own before calling in an expert. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I had DE going back into my brand new AG pool upon start-up. There were bolts loose/missing from the factory. I could see it coming out of the return, and it was in small piles all over my pool floor. (Looked like piles of brownish dirt). Tried vacuuming it up, but kept coming back in through return. Looked like cloudy water coming through) Once it was serviced and bolts replaced/tightened by serviceman, no further issue. Did take awhile to vacuum up DE, though once problem fixed as it moves and then resettles. Good luck getting your issue fixed, hope this helps to determine if it is DE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I backwashed again to prep for disassembly and a lot of crud was still coming out so I figured it would be worthwhile to backwash fully and then try the filter again. After turning it on back to filter it's still putting out a steady stream of water through the backwash pipe. :brickwall:

I'm lost. I guess it's time to call someone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.