Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Winterizing...lowering water below return

1. Back To Top    #1

Edmond, OK

Winterizing...lowering water below return

First timer here...I'm reading the article on winterizing and think I get it all except for one thing. What method do you use to get your water below the return? Once the water is too low to backwash, what's the best method for removing the next 6" or so of water?

18,000 gallons, above ground pool, vinyl liner. Swim Pro SW256T Sand Filter, 80GPM, 35 GMP/ftsq
    More than 3 years old
    Well water

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: Winterizing...lowering water below return

If you use a manual vacuum you can hook it up and allow the vacuum head to sit on the floor of the pool and run the pump. As long as you have a good seal in the skimmer you can drain a pool with this method. You can also buy or rent a submersible pump and use it to drain as much water as needed.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Athens, GA - USA

What about just a good ol garden hose to siphon it off? This is my plan. I have never closed before so we will see how it goes....
    TF-100 | 13.6k gal (24' Round) AG | Chlorine | Sand Filter | Two Speed Motor | Installed June 2014 | Last Opened April 24 2016

4. Back To Top    #4
    League City, TX

Do you have a way to isolate pump suction to the main drain?

20K IG gunnite pool
    2HP Hayward single speed pump
    Cartridge filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I used a 7 dollar drill pump , two sections of garden hose and a 20 dollar harbor freight electric drill. Ran the hose into my sewer clean out and locked the trigger on the drill. This worked well. It took about five hours for the water to drop below the return.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Back To Top    #6

Peoria, IL

Pool vacuum or inexpensive sump pump. The floor drain would be an easy one as well if you can isolate to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois