I super chlorinated my green salt water pool

Poolipop

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 18, 2014
Fayetteville, NC
Hi everyone, I bought an older home with a pool that was installed in 2006. I am a new pool owner and have had a very difficult learning curve trying to understand the problems and solutions to algae and pool chemistry. I feel a bit out of control at the moment and need to know if I have over chlorinated my pool.

26,000 Gallons
IG (in ground)
Vinyl
Filter: Hayword S220T Sand
Hayword Super Pump (1 hp)
CircuPool Si Plus SWG

9-13-2014
Remedy: Added 2 gallons of 8.25% Bleach + 6 cups of 99% chlorination granules
FC - 0
CC - 0
pH - 7.2
TA - 80
CH - 30
Acid Demand - OK

9-14-2014
Brushed pool and vacuumed sediment
SWG: 75%
Pump running all day

9-17-2014
Remedy: Added 3 caps of Yellow Trine around edges of pool + Added 2 gallons of 8.25% Bleach + 3 cups of 99% chlorination granules + 2 pucks
Brushed pool

9-18-2014
Status: Blue and Cloudy, sand filter is very slow at filtering and I am thinking about adding Diamacious Earth (DE)
FC - 5+ (My kit only goes to 5, I ordered a more advanced kit today)
CC - 5+
pH - 8+
TA - 90
CH - 30
Acid Demand - Tells me I need to add a lot of CYA (I did not)

Should I try and lower the pH and add the CYA or wait until things settle out? Any other advice is welcome. Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

A question or three for you:

1. What are you using to test your pool water?

2. What is in the chlorinating granules?

3. What kit did you order?

Given that you have no idea what your actual CYA level is, that is a good call in not adding any yet.

Yes, you should add Muriatic acid to lower you pH. Bring it down to somewhere around 7.5.

The acid demand is specifically for your pH, not your CYA/stabilizer/conditioner. Since you have been using pucks and granular chlorinator, your CYA could be high already. Best not to add any before you know what the actual level is.

Hi Charlie,

1. What are you using to test your pool water?
Poolmaster 22260 Basic 5-Way Test Kit with Case

2. What is in the chlorinating granules?
Bought a bucket of 99% active agent Chlorinating granules from sams club

3. What kit did you order?
Taylor K-1515-A, but I take it that I cannot test for CYA with either of these kits.... What do you recommend... TF-100, K-2006, other?

OK, I may not have enough muratic acid on hand to lower it sufficiently, but I will go and get some tomorrow. I will report back when I have the proper kit to measure CYA.

PH reading may not be accurate at high CL levels..... Being that you don't have precise reading for chlorine, I think I'd wait for accurate readings before adjusting PH, since it was possibly only 7.2 before the high doses of chlorine were added.

When you buy MA, make sure you get the full strength stuff, and not what is labeled "Safer". The safer stuff won't hurt your pool, it is just far weaker. Keep using MA to get that pH under 7.8.

I was just at lowes and was contemplating the two kinds: safer and regular. I decided regular because I figured they either watered down or added extra non-essential stuff. I was right! I am already gaining the TPF instinct, woohoo! :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You also need to get your FC up. 4 is the min for a CYA level of 50. You should target 7-8 and never let it fall below 4.
I see now you have an SWG. After you get water clear your CYA level for a SWG is 70-80 ppm. If your water doesn't clear up with getting FC up you may want to bring your FC up to shock level which is 20.
If you could add all your pool and equipment info to your sig that would be great. It helps us help you better. ?

According to pool Calulator:
FC - 4.5 to 6 --> Add 58 oz bleach (or increase SWG?)
TC=FC+CC=5
pH - 6.8 to 7.6 --> Add 10-12oz (120oz) boxes of Borax or 5-12oz (60oz) boxes of washing soda(uhh, is this right?)

I have a Salt Water Generator (SWG), should I increase the FC to 7 by adding bleach or increase my SWG production?

Last edited:
You bleach to bump your FC up. The SWG is just to maintain FC levels. Its easier on the SWG cell that way.
Also the higher CYA level of 70-80 for a SWG pool helps protect your FC levels.
When I first saw your post I thought it was a non SWG pool. After reading I see you have a SWG. My bad. ?

According to pool Calulator:
pH - 6.8 to 7.2 --> Add 10-12oz (120oz) boxes of Borax or 5-12oz (60oz) boxes of washing soda(uhh, is this right?)

I get 43oz(weight) 37oz(volume) washing soda/Soda ash or 85oz (weight) 81oz (volume) borax

Your TA is low so I would use the washing soda/Soda ash

- - - Updated - - -

I get 43oz(weight) 37oz(volume) washing soda/Soda ash or 85oz (weight) 81oz (volume) borax

Your TA is low so I would use the washing soda/Soda ash

Is this a plaster/gunite pool? If so your CH is also low.

It would help us if you would add the following information to your signature

• The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
  • If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
  • Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
  • What kind/model of water test kit you are using
  • Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner

Thank Tim, I did put that information in my signature, but it must be waiting for approval.

Here it is again, hopefully it shows in my signature soon:
26,000 Gallon IG (in ground) Vinyl Pool
Pump: Hayword (1 hp)
CircuPool Si Plus SWG (Installed myself)
TF-100 Kit w/ magnetic stirrer, lol

Where do you buy your washing soda and borax in such large quantities?

Thank Tim, I did put that information in my signature, but it must be waiting for approval.

You have vinyl, so ignore my CH comment.

You want to use washing soda OR borax, not and. I think either of them are just a box or so at that weight. I got mine at WalMart last time I helped a friend out with his low pH.

I get the boxes at Menards. Most all the big box stores sell 20 Mule Team Borax, it is a 76 oz box. About $4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.