Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question on lower water level for closing

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation Question on lower water level for closing

Split by moderator from the sticky. Please ask your questions in your own thread. Thanks, jblizzle.

I read the closing an in ground pool post and it has me pointed in the right direction. We get very cold temps lots of snow and ice here in Northern Vermont. I drained the water to below the skimmer last year and did not have any issues (I might have been lucky). The suggestion to drain 4" below the returns has me very hesitant to do so as I don't want to ruin the vinyl liner. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    10K, 15x30, IG, VINYL, , HAYWARD SAND FILTER, HAYWARD SUPER PUMP 3/4 HP, K-2006 TEST KIT

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question on lower water level for closing

Im in the northeast as well (CT, not as cold as you but still cold)

I usually go 1 or 2 inches below the mouth of the skimmer....my take is that the pool is gonna fill up again anyway, unless I go out there after each storm melt off to pump it down (not gonna happen)

I also have a mesh safety cover which requires you to have water level no lower than 18" below the surface the cover is attached to, so keep that in mind if you have a safety cover too.

Ive never had a problem with an inch or two below the skimmer.
    22K IG vinyl, .5HP Northstar pump, S244T filter, AutoPilot Digital w/SC-48 cell

3. Back To Top    #3

We generally say that if you leave at least a foot of water in the shallow end, then the liner should stay in place ... at least that is our recommendation when doing a drain and fill so it is short term. Leaving the water that low over the entire winter may carry more risk.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    We generally say that if you leave at least a foot of water in the shallow end, then the liner should stay in place ... at least that is our recommendation when doing a drain and fill so it is short term. Leaving the water that low over the entire winter may carry more risk.
    What about for a gunite/plaster IGP? Should I drain that low?
    26k Gal. 18' x 38' Gunite/White Plaster Roman style in-ground pool, straight Clorox bleach sanitizer, DE filter, TF-100 Test Kit, Taylor Salt Test Kit, Borate Drop test

5. Back To Top    #5

If your groundwater is low and not a concern and you do not have excessive heat that could damage the plaster, then you can drain 100%.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!