Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH Rise after switching to bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

PH Rise after switching to bleach

Hi folks,

New member, but I've been reading on here for a few months. I have a fairly new gunite pool, opened in March, 2014. 22,000 gallons. Has an ozonator on it, for some reason. Ran with Ozone and low FC with trichlor pucks inline for a few months, until algae in June. Fought algae with powdered Chlorine until end of July, when I found this site. Noted that CYA was off the chart, so I did a partial drain and fill, and got CYA down to 100. Plan to go lower, but haven't done it yet. Anyway, Algae has been gone, and pool has been nice.

The problem now, is that I am having to add acid twice per week to keep PH in line. Of course, TA is now going down, and also CH has gone down. I put my current numbers below. I am concerned about adding this much acid. Only added once per month or so when using pucks. I know the pucks keep PH down, but just not sure why it continually goes up now? Is it still curing? Should I be concerned?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Current numbers (from Taylor kit)

FC 6.0
    CC 0
    PH 7.8
    TA 80
    CH 200
    CYA 100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PH Rise after switching to bleach

Welcome to TFP!!!

The trichlor tablets and if you were using dichlor powder are acidic and thus were counter acting the pH rise that could be due to the newer plaster and a higher TA. A rising pH is not uncommon when you get away from the acidic forms of chlorine (which also have the CYA problem), especially if your plaster is less than a year old.

There is no problem adding as much acid as you need to keep the pH in the 7s.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. Is there anything in my numbers to suggest something could be done to slow the rise?
    22,000 Gal. IG, Gunite Pool, Date of Completion 3/2014, Pentair Cartridge Filter, single speed 1 hp pump, Chiller Unit, Ozonator, Using Taylor test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Two things were/are likely working against you. First, your TA was likely higher when you converted to bleach/liquid chlorine than it is now. Higher TA means faster pH increases due to aeration. As that TA number comes down, pH rise will slow. Whenever you add acid, the TA will go down. Second, the ozonator provides some extra aeration to your water as it passes through the unit. I would disable/disconnnect the ozonator entirely as it's really only adding extra aeration. If you have water features such as deck jets or waterfalls, use them less if you can and the pH will rise slow. They are large sources of aeration, which drives pH upward. Your current TA reading is "normal" range.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

pH will rise for the first year or so. It should be slowing down some with time, as well as the lowering TA. Twice a week isn't too bad for a pool that's only a few months old.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks folks. I was wondering if the Ozonator would cause a PH rise, but I didn't see any discussion online. Seems like it should since it is bubbling. I'll turn it off and see if that helps anything. Not sure it is doing much anyway.

As to TA, the Pool Calculator says 70-90 range, so I guess I am getting close to the low end. Any thoughts on going lower than 70?
    22,000 Gal. IG, Gunite Pool, Date of Completion 3/2014, Pentair Cartridge Filter, single speed 1 hp pump, Chiller Unit, Ozonator, Using Taylor test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

No problem going a little lower on the TA.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't own one, so I won't consider myself an expert, but it seems to me an ozonator would add aeration to the pool, which would cause a rise in pH.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

I'll post PH results in a week or so after switching it off.

10. Back To Top    #10

For those of you holding your breath waiting on results, I will say that PH is rising a bit more slowly now that I've turned off the ozonator. It appears to be only a small difference. I think I may try to measure and chart something comparing the difference, but the weather is changing here in Louisiana, so I think I'll wait until next summer.

If anyone else has any thoughts or experience, let me know.

Thanks.

11. Back To Top    #11

My only thought goes back to Richard's post above. The new pool will have a substantial pH rise for a year. If next summer the rate is still as bad, then investigate further. Until then, do what you have to do, and just know that what you're experiencing is within the realm of normal.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry