Pool Store Test's

Mar 21, 2008
Florida
Ok, as part of my warranty from P-Tec I need to get monthly "professional water tests with computer printouts". I found this to be a farce.
I just wanted to know if anyone else has come across this? Can't I just produce my own computer printouts?

I have taken my results and then brought them to a pool store for their "pro" testing and have found their results to be quite off. -Gasp- big suprise. I'm not even talking about getting p-store'd - I have an acquaintance that works at a pool store and he has tested my water 2 out of the 4 times. They just test too quickly to be accurate, sometimes overshooting the titration before recording the results.
Has anyone else seen this?

:grrrr:

If it wasn't for the warranty I wouldn't even be at the store, the PB gave me a pretty decent Taylor kit, the one just below the k-2006. (i think its 83t or something).

My thoughts exactly FPM .... take in a water sample and get the store to test it and keep the printout somewhere but dont buy any "junk" from them that way you have what the P-Tec people want for warranty purposes PLUS you have a trouble free pool not to mention the money your going to save not buying any of the PS chems ! :wink:

I don't know if I'm over-thinking this but wouldn't bad results <PS> screw the warrenty say something happened and newfool needed to fall back on the warrenty for some reason... Couldn't/Wouldn't the pb say well, newfool, you haven't been taking care of your water! We're not going to cover _________ <insert problem here>!?

I mean, I could be waaaaaay off but it's just a thought that briefly popped into my head. :|

newfool said:
If it wasn't for the warranty I wouldn't even be at the store, the PB gave me a pretty decent Taylor kit, the one just below the K-2006. (i think its 83t or something).
The Kit below the K-2006 is the K-2005 which is identical except for the chlorine test. It uses the DPD test instead of the FAS-DPD test. The FAS-DPD test is FAR superior by a very wide margin. Taylor does not make any test kit with a number anything like 83t, btw. All their test kits start with a K- and are them followed by a 4 digit or bigger number.

The test kit is the 78HR. Its not a bad kit, but i will need to upgrade sometime soon to get more accurate Cl readings. I was concerned with the warranty, but short of driving 20 miles every month to go to another store to get my water tested I will have to deal with the inaccurate test results of the pool store.

newfool said:
The test kit is the 78HR. Its not a bad kit, but i will need to upgrade sometime soon to get more accurate Cl readings. I was concerned with the warranty, but short of driving 20 miles every month to go to another store to get my water tested I will have to deal with the inaccurate test results of the pool store.
It's not a taylor kit then. They don't have one with that number. Like I said, all their test kits start with the letter K.
What you have is a Pentair (Rainbow Lifeguard) test kit. They are ok but no where near a Taylor in quality or precision. This particular kit does not test CYA and if I remember correctly it uses the OTO chlorine test for total chlorine. It's a step below the 6 way HTH kit from Walmart. It is nowhere near a taylor kit for any of the tests which is probably why they want you to have testing done at a pool store for the warranty.

Newfool, I think your missing what people are trying to tell you. Go to the pool store your using now (or even a closer one) with a water sample and have them test it. Take the paper they give you and keep it in a file drawer somewhere .....JUST IN CASE :wink: . Then take what they verbally tell you to put in chemical wise, and throw that in the trash ! Get yourself a good test kit TF test kit or Taylor test kit) so you can test your own pool water an add your own chemicals to the pool so it will remain crystal clear and trouble free!

IMO, I dont think its P-Tec's business how you look after your pool. So long as you can provide them a "professional water tests with computer printouts" unless P-Tec wants to pay for your chemicals from the PS .... which I doubt they will do ! <--- stool is gone now :wink:

Casey said:
I don't know if I'm over-thinking this but wouldn't bad results <PS> screw the warrenty say something happened and newfool needed to fall back on the warrenty for some reason... Couldn't/Wouldn't the pb say well, newfool, you haven't been taking care of your water! We're not going to cover _________ <insert problem here>!?

I mean, I could be waaaaaay off but it's just a thought that briefly popped into my head. :|

If he's using BBB, his printouts will all show PERFECT results. The PS will have nothing to say, except

"Add Phosphate Remover"
"Add Supreme"
"Add ___________" (-insert expensive useless chemical here)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Tizme
Newfool, I think your missing what people are trying to tell you. Go to the pool store your using now (or even a closer one) with a water sample and have them test it. Take the paper they give you and keep it in a file drawer somewhere .....JUST IN CASE :wink: . Then take what they verbally tell you to put in chemical wise, and throw that in the trash ! Get yourself a good test kit TF test kit or Taylor test kit) so you can test your own pool water an add your own chemicals to the pool so it will remain crystal clear and trouble free!

IMO, I dont think its P-Tec's business how you look after your pool. So long as you can provide them a "professional water tests with computer printouts" unless P-Tec wants to pay for your chemicals from the PS .... which I doubt they will do ! <--- stool is gone now :wink:

LOL, I already learned from this site not to take what they tell you about the chems - the first time i went they said to add 19lbs of cal hardness to the pool!! On my last trip it was 37lbs!! haha. Ya, I go that part no probs there ;)

i just didnt want them to see the crappy results I was getting at the pool store, the pool is clean and really clear otherwise.
TY :)

You are correct Waterbear, the test kit is by Pentair, it comes in a blue case that is identical to Taylor's smaller kits that i have seen so i thought that one company made all of them. My only complaint with the kit is the pH block colors between 8.2 and 7.8 are a good deal off in color but the reagents don't match them, so you could be at 7.8 or closer to 7.6 but not know it because the color is so similar - i am usually off by just one drop in the acid demand from my goal pH, 3-4 days after adding acid to a fresh pool.

Newfool,

I know what you are trying to say about filing some bogus test results from the pool store, but along with the bogus test results, you could add a digital picture with the date imprinted of your pool water this would give you clear evidence (no pun intended) of your pool water, also if the pool store is crowded and they try to rush the testing, simply come back when they have time, or talk to the manager about the inacuracy in their testing procedures.

Hopes this helps

Rob

Rockcrawler said:
Newfool,

I know what you are trying to say about filing some bogus test results from the pool store, but along with the bogus test results, you could add a digital picture with the date imprinted of your pool water this would give you clear evidence (no pun intended) of your pool water, also if the pool store is crowded and they try to rush the testing, simply come back when they have time, or talk to the manager about the inacuracy in their testing procedures.

Hopes this helps

Rob

True, but on the several occasions I have gone, I was the only one there - i usually do my errands early. Good idea with the photos though, ty didnt think of that! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.