Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Proper cartridge filter and pump sizing

1. Back To Top    #1

Proper cartridge filter and pump sizing

Blue Haven is one of two builders I am still deciding between. All hayward stuff.

19k 16x32 pool - what cartridge filter and pump combo for best filtration and lowest operating cost. Will likely not be doing solar panels on 2nd story roof at this point...leaning toward aqua comfort 125 heat pump. 2 inch piping.

They put a 2 speed 1.5 hp and 190 sq ft cartridge on the quote. I just read hydraulics 101 and pump basics...great info and I understand I want slow flow rate on a large filter...I think that means 1 hp two speed pump with 450 sq ft cartridge filter????

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Proper cartridge filter and pump sizing

Welcome to TFP!!!

It is good that they recommended a 2-speed pump, although that could also still be oversized. Do you know which 2-speed pump they are talking about? A 1HP 2-speed Super Pump would be fine. The Super II are likely bigger than you need (assuming you have no spa or large water features).

You are right that the larger the cartridge filter the better, but there is not point going crazy big as there is no real added benefit. For a 19k pool, I think a minimum of 275 sqft would be good. You could certainly go bigger and reduce the frequency of cleaning, but you should clean it once a year anyway.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

hayward 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - not sure other than that.
    Other builder is recommending pentair intelliflo vs pump 3 hp. Also recommending the healthcare system ionization plus ozone generator and venturi skimmers with sand filter. Recommends shocking once a week with bleach and brushing walls.

Anyone have experience with the blue haven return jet system? They are claiming superior flow and heating water in half the time. It is still 4 returns, but they claims their proprietary nozzles make it seem like 24

Thanks for the feedback on the cartridge size...450 seemed a bit overkill - but I saw similar gallon pools in many signatures that listed huge 400+ filters for a 20k gallon pool
    Last edited by jwramr; 09-18-2014 at 12:14 PM. Reason: filter

4. Back To Top    #4

That other builder sounds like they are up-selling. No need for the huge VS pump and we do not recommend UV or ozone for residential outdoor pools because you still need to have a residual sanitizer (chlorine) in the water to be safe.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jwramr View Post
    hAnyone have experience with the blue haven return jet system? They are claiming superior flow and heating water in half the time. It is still 4 returns, but they claims their proprietary nozzles make it seem like 24
    Standard returns are just as effective as anything on the market. Just smoke and mirrors to get people to spend more money.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    That other builder sounds like they are up-selling. No need for the huge VS pump and we do not recommend UV or ozone for residential outdoor pools because you still need to have a residual sanitizer (chlorine) in the water to be safe.
    Agree, builder 2 is upwelling stuff that sounds neat but is almost useless.

Someone once said, bigger filter - smaller pump.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Proper cartridge filter and pump sizing

That's similar size pool to what we built, 2speed 1 1/2hp tristar pump seems to do well now that we have both speeds running. I also have a cartridge filter I think it is the 425 and AquaPlus controller. I have been very happy with the easy of use.
    Link to the build.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/showthread.php?t=73161

18x36 Vinyl, sports depth, 8' Roman steps at each end. Hayward 1.5hp 2speed pump, catridge filter, 2 skimmers, no main drain, 3 SR Smith Treo LED lights

8. Back To Top    #8

A 1.5hp tristar is a pretty large pump and overkill on a basic pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

We have deck jets and spa steps otherwise I'm sure it would be overkill.

18x36 Vinyl, sports depth, 8' Roman steps at each end. Hayward 1.5hp 2speed pump, catridge filter, 2 skimmers, no main drain, 3 SR Smith Treo LED lights