Safety Covers

Jun 12, 2014
Sharpsville, IN
I am looking into getting a safety cover for our pool for the winter. That being said, we can not afford, nor do we have a company that could come out, and produce a custom fit cover. Is it possible to buy a rectangular cover for our pool and it serve the same purpose and efficiency as a custom fit cover? Our concrete pool deck is rectangular, however, the pool, as you can see in my avatar, is puzzle piece shaped. Thanks!

I am by no means an expert on the subject, but no-one else has answered yet, so I'll give my thoughts. I don't think an over sized rectangle cover would pose a problem besides extra stress and wear where the "puzzle" sections go in. If you padded those sections to protect the cover it may not be an issue. Don't any of the cover manufacturers let you submit custom sizes on their website? That would certainly be cheaper than having someone come out and do it if that is an available option.

You could use some kids chalk and a measuring tape to lay out a grid, then measure every foot or so making note of any drastic edges. That should give them plenty to work with I would think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm ... I will have to see what I can work out this weekend. Either way, looks like we are going to be going the water bag route for this winter. I've decided to have the pool company come close the pool for us. I just don't feel comfortable enough with blowing out the lines and adding the antifreeze properly. But I can try one of your ideas and at least get a quote so I know what I am facing next year. Thanks everyone!

I just went through this dilemma with my new pool. Pool company (This is FIRST year ) offered to come and close pool (for a FEE!) and give me 2 big tarps. Can't use 1 since mine is like 2 pools connected. 42Lx18Wx22Lx18W "L" shape. We wanted a Safety cover for kids/dog. Loop Loc is definitely a "Get what you pay for" and as far as I'm concerned the best. My father always had one on the pool. We decided to get 3 of us who all had new pools done together this year. Went to 3 different guys who make them. Got quotes, and went with the best deal. For some reason, my buddy with the free form was more than DOUBLE mine! More drilling into rocks, etc. Also if you have a water feature, it is EXTRA since you need a cable around it. They CAN make ANY shape! It will also outlast a tarp! Granted tarping/bags, etc will only cost a few hundred a year - the many thousands I'm spending will give peace of mind. Just MY opinion. Good luck in your decision!!

I am looking into getting a safety cover for our pool for the winter. That being said, we can not afford, nor do we have a company that could come out, and produce a custom fit cover. Is it possible to buy a rectangular cover for our pool and it serve the same purpose and efficiency as a custom fit cover? Our concrete pool deck is rectangular, however, the pool, as you can see in my avatar, is puzzle piece shaped. Thanks!

I am not sure how relevant this is or if you even care in your situation, but keep in mind that buying a rectangular cover for your pool you are voiding any kind of warranty you are expecting to get with it. It will also not be considered a safety cover.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.