Slam questions is Florida

Jul 24, 2014
Navarre, FL
I started a SLAM last night because I found a few minor spots of mustard algae on my walls and floor, in spite of the water being crystal clear and my OCLT is only at 1.5-2. I did a bit of a shock on Monday night with what bleach I had on hand. Here are my numbers at the start of the SLAM:
FC: 17
CC: .5
PH: 8 at start, but added 32 oz. muriatic acid as directed by the Pool Math calculator and waited 30 minutes
TA: 60
CYA: 50-55
The calculator called for 398 oz. of bleach (8.25) and I went ahead and added 484 oz., as I knew I wouldn't be able to check the numbers until after work this evening - had and early start this am.
So, my questions are - 1. Did I screw up by over-adding on the bleach, and 2. Will my SLAM be adaquate to beat down the little bit of MA after just 24 hours?
Thanks in advance.

Re: SLAM question

Maybe I'm misreading, but are you saying you strolled the previous SLAM when the OCLT showed a loss of 1.5 - 2?

No one can say how long a SLAM will take.

Not mis-reading. It wasn't a SLAM (to me), it was a shock cause I didn't have enough bleach on hand to get me to 29 for a MA SLAM - I think? Am I over thinking this? Is 1.5-2 ppm loss overnight not enough to drive a SLAM?

A 1.5-2 OCLT FC loss means you have organics in your water. Not very much, but they are there.
With your CYA level (50-55) you should be targeting 20-22 FC. If you know that you will be away for an extended period of time, it would be ok to increase slightly from the listed numbers.

(The following was taken directly from the Mustard Algae section of Pool School here at TFP. Full article is found HERE )

To permanently get rid of mustard algae, you first SLAM the pool normally, following the directions in How To SLAM Your Pool. Once you have completed SLAMing your pool in the standard way, raise the FC level up to the extra high mustard algae shock level for 24 hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.