Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slam questions is Florida

1. Back To Top    #1

Slam questions is Florida

I started a SLAM last night because I found a few minor spots of mustard algae on my walls and floor, in spite of the water being crystal clear and my OCLT is only at 1.5-2. I did a bit of a shock on Monday night with what bleach I had on hand. Here are my numbers at the start of the SLAM:
    FC: 17
    CC: .5
    PH: 8 at start, but added 32 oz. muriatic acid as directed by the Pool Math calculator and waited 30 minutes
    TA: 60
    CYA: 50-55
    The calculator called for 398 oz. of bleach (8.25) and I went ahead and added 484 oz., as I knew I wouldn't be able to check the numbers until after work this evening - had and early start this am.
    So, my questions are - 1. Did I screw up by over-adding on the bleach, and 2. Will my SLAM be adaquate to beat down the little bit of MA after just 24 hours?
    Thanks in advance.
    22K IG Vinyl, Sand, Hayward Ecostar w spillover spa & Haward Navigator
    Screened enclosure w Southwest exposure

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SLAM question

Maybe I'm misreading, but are you saying you strolled the previous SLAM when the OCLT showed a loss of 1.5 - 2?

No one can say how long a SLAM will take.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: SLAM question

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Maybe I'm misreading, but are you saying you strolled the previous SLAM when the OCLT showed a loss of 1.5 - 2?

No one can say how long a SLAM will take.
    Not mis-reading. It wasn't a SLAM (to me), it was a shock cause I didn't have enough bleach on hand to get me to 29 for a MA SLAM - I think? Am I over thinking this? Is 1.5-2 ppm loss overnight not enough to drive a SLAM?
    22K IG Vinyl, Sand, Hayward Ecostar w spillover spa & Haward Navigator
    Screened enclosure w Southwest exposure

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Slam questions is Florida

A 1.5-2 OCLT FC loss means you have organics in your water. Not very much, but they are there.
    With your CYA level (50-55) you should be targeting 20-22 FC. If you know that you will be away for an extended period of time, it would be ok to increase slightly from the listed numbers.

(The following was taken directly from the Mustard Algae section of Pool School here at TFP. Full article is found HERE )

To permanently get rid of mustard algae, you first SLAM the pool normally, following the directions in How To SLAM Your Pool. Once you have completed SLAMing your pool in the standard way, raise the FC level up to the extra high mustard algae shock level for 24 hours.
    Randy H.

Intex 18' X 48"
    G.A.M.E. Sandpro 75 Sand Filter (Single Speed 3/4 HP, 75 lbs sand, 2650 GPH, 7-way valve)