Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should the skimmer stay on all the time?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should the skimmer stay on all the time?

If my options for one of my pool levers on my pump says, pool main drain, or skimmer; which one should it be on? Or should it be in the middle?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should the skimmer stay on all the time?

Sounds like a 3 way valve. During normal operation you'll want it in the middle so both are open. You may want it on skimmer only for more suction when manually vacuuming.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, does one use more water than the other? I'm just trying to figure out why my water bill went up a hundred this month and that was the only variable that changed.

4. Back To Top    #4

Water bill would only go up with water filling, not circulation. Do you have an auto fill mechanism on the pool?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons