Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid Sodium Bromide

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid Sodium Bromide

Hello,

I'm looking to establish my first bromide reserve in my hot tub. I was not able to locate any granular form of it locally. The only thing i was able to find is in liquid at a concentration of 35% of Sodium Bromide. Instructions say to add 125ml(4oz) per 1000Liters(264gal). Does this sound about right? Anybody have experience with the liquid stuff?

Thanks
    20,000 Gallons Vinyl 16x32 Inground with Stamped concrete decking. Hayward Sand Filter. DIY Diaphragm pump injection system. K-2006C Test Kit.
    450 Gallons Standalone Acrylic CALSPA 2006.
    Canadians, Get your test kit here!.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid Sodium Bromide

You couldn't find any of the brands such as those listed in this post?

35% sodium bromide at the rate of 125 ml per 1000 liters would be 0.35*125/1000000 = 44 mg/L (ppm) which sounds about right since that would be 34 ppm bromide.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Actually no. I visited 3 different pools stores and only one knew what I was talking about. I also tried Wal-Mart but at this time of year they already packed up all the pool/spa products to make place for Halloween costumes. The only other thing I found(as mentioned in the post you referenced) was a mixture of dichlor and sodium bromide so I decided to go with the liquid stuff. Thanks for the clarification chem geek. By the way, is there such a thing as too much sodium bromide...? In case I overshoot.
    20,000 Gallons Vinyl 16x32 Inground with Stamped concrete decking. Hayward Sand Filter. DIY Diaphragm pump injection system. K-2006C Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

There's no real overdosing of bromide. You need enough to be able to make bromine, but any extra just remains as bromide salt. The only issue would be if you are using MPS to try and oxidize bather waste before creating more bromine, then a higher bromide bank will tend to have the MPS react with it more rather than with bather waste. Usually though, you are using chlorine and perhaps ozone (if you have an ozonator) and these react fairly quickly with the bromide to make bromine.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks a lot Chem Geek again for the clarification. Indeed I am planing on using sodium hypochlorite so it shouldn't be an issue. The tub came equipped with an ozonator but since it is a 2006 I am not sure in what state it stands so I won't be relying on it.

6. Back To Top    #6

To add to this old thread,

I'm in Canada also and finding Sodium Bromide is very difficult. I went to a local spa shop and when I asked for it the guy says, "Yes, we have Bromine." Never mind...

All of the amazon prices go through the roof to send to Canada. I'd have to say the pool chem market appears to be a bit of a racket, IMO.

But I found this morning that Canadian Tire sells it as Spa Aquarius Bromine System Part 1. Same 35%. I hope they keep it on the shelves in the winter.
    Product link

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, I think that's because there are some regulations in Canada for the more pure granular sodium bromide which is why you can't normally find it. There is this link for 98% sodium bromide from a Canadian spa retailer.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks Chem geek but I assume the 35% liquid will do the same job as 98% granular, and these only cost me 5.99 each! I grabbed two.

We get so screwed on pricing up here in Canada. Most often it's plain old gouging.

In-Ground 16'x32' bromine pool., 16.5k GAL | Softub 300