Pool completely full -- should I drain?

Mar 21, 2013
I had someone work on my house yesterday and they accidentally opened the pool fill for ~20 hours. I have a completely full pool almost to the brim. I have a limestone casing. Should I drain? I live in Austin and it's still hot here so I'm sure it will be back to normal in a couple weeks. There's not a lot of stuff falling into the pool at the moment so the skimmers not working as effectively isn't a big deal.

Is the water above your tile line and splashing against your coping? If so, you should drain it to where it normally is (mine is 3" below top of tile line). You really don't want water soaking the coping a lot and possible leaving calcium scale behind. You could let it evaporate, but it will take some time.

Last time it rained here in Tucson, I was at 1/2" below tile line and I drained off an inch or so of water and let the rest evaporate. Once problem is, a slow evaporation will cause a white powdery Ca scale on the tile surface relative to the tile surface that normally sits below the water line. It's easily wiped away with a mildly acidic solution, but it does dull the tile surface.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.