Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool completely full -- should I drain?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool completely full -- should I drain?

I had someone work on my house yesterday and they accidentally opened the pool fill for ~20 hours. I have a completely full pool almost to the brim. I have a limestone casing. Should I drain? I live in Austin and it's still hot here so I'm sure it will be back to normal in a couple weeks. There's not a lot of stuff falling into the pool at the moment so the skimmers not working as effectively isn't a big deal.
    A.O.Smith Pump 2HP, Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter 60 (for 60 sqft), Jandy Caretaker 5 port, MiniMax 400 pool heater, Rainbow chlorinator, Aqualink
    Secondary pump for leaf trapper/fountain 1 HP on Hayward Cartridge Filter model C12002
    Polaris 2 peak HP blower for spa
    20,000 gallon pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool completely full -- should I drain?

Is the water above your tile line and splashing against your coping? If so, you should drain it to where it normally is (mine is 3" below top of tile line). You really don't want water soaking the coping a lot and possible leaving calcium scale behind. You could let it evaporate, but it will take some time.

Last time it rained here in Tucson, I was at 1/2" below tile line and I drained off an inch or so of water and let the rest evaporate. Once problem is, a slow evaporation will cause a white powdery Ca scale on the tile surface relative to the tile surface that normally sits below the water line. It's easily wiped away with a mildly acidic solution, but it does dull the tile surface.

3. Back To Top    #3

The other thing is, if the water level is up that far, I would imagine you're getting very little skimming action. Once the skimmer is near completely filled, you don't get much action from it.
    12,000 gal. Anthony IG pool; 3 ft. shallow end to 6 ft. deep end; Built 1989; Renovated July 2014 using a 10-part unexposed quartz plaster aggregate of 3 S-grade Blue, 3 S-grade Gray, 2 T-grade Blue, 2 T-grade Gray; Apollo VA-52 DE Filter; Hayward SP-2607X10 Super Pump 1-HP Single Speed; Jandy AE-Ti Heat Pump; Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by three4rd View Post
    The other thing is, if the water level is up that far, I would imagine you're getting very little skimming action. Once the skimmer is near completely filled, you don't get much action from it.
    +1

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree. Compromise and take it down a little off your coping but leave an inch to two to evaporate.

13000 gallon pool, SWG, DE Filter, 2 sheer descent waterfalls, built Jan 2014