Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Reccomendations

1. Back To Top    #1
    Myrtle Beach, SC

Pump Reccomendations

I'm currently using a 3/4 HP Century Centruion pump, and I'm not having any problems with it.

As I read about pumps, I see that I can probably realize a substantial savings in my electric bill over the course of a year by switching to a two speed pump.

Should I consider changing my pump now, as opposed to letting her pump until she breaks?
    I believe that a variable speed pump is over-kill in my situation, and that I should limit my search to a two speed, am I missing something?
    Is there any value to upgrading to a 1HP pump? My current 3/4 HP is meeting all of the flow needs, and there is good pressure at the return jets.
    Any particular brands that I should look closely at? Or stay away from?

15' x 30', 13,500 Gal, Inground Plaster Pool . . . Florida Gem Exposed Aggregate Finish . . . Agua-Rite T-3 SWG
    3/4 H.P. Century Centruion Pump . . . Pentair Triniton II, TR60 Sand Filter . . . Hayward AquaVav Tiger Shark Robotic Pool Cleaner
    No shirt . . . No shoes . . . No problems!!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Pump Reccomendations

It is a little hard to recommend replacing a perfectly good pump. The cheapest option would be to look at just replacing your existing motor with a 2-speed version. You will have to make sure the voltage requirements match or that you can rewire it. Going that route avoids having to do any plumbing and you could then have your existing motor as a back-up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Lakeland, FL

Re: Pump Reccomendations

What Jason said is what I ended up doing. I went with a 3/4 115V 2-speed motor. 95% of the time I'm running in low, the only time I run in high is to check filter pressure, and prime, but it does prime in low. I ordered a remanufactured motor and had a local pinch-a-penny mount it with a new shaft seal. I ordered a toggle switch to go from hi/low speeds. I use a T101 timer that I had to turn it on/off.
    Here's my install story:
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida