After Market Salt Cells

PeteMorris

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 17, 2014
Myrtle Beach, SC
I have only been here for a short period of time, and while I still have a lot to learn, I am just totally thrilled by not only what levels my pool chemistry should be at, but also by how all parts of the pool system work together.

We bought our present home 5 years ago, with an existing pool. Very early on, we converted it over to a SWG pool, as "you will never have to concern yourself with chemical balancing again." :???: We counted on the pool guy to set us up with the correct system for our size pool, Agua-rite with T-3 salt cell rated at 15,000 gal. As our pool held 13,500 gallons, this seemed more than adequate.

Since beginning my education here, I've come to learn that while this may be adequate, it certainly isn't optimum. In order for my SWG to produce enough chlorine it pretty much has to work at 100%, 24 hours a day.

I've been looking into upgrading my cell to a T-15, rated at 40,000 gallons. While doing my search, besides OEM, I notice that there is now a lot of after market cells priced 40 to 50% less than the OEM.

I would really appreciate any thoughts or concerns about using after market SWG cells. Am I getting the same product without the name on the cell? Does anyone have any experience with the after-market cells? Should I just consider Aqua-Rite and not get side-tracked?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
a question to ask is, can the SWG power supply be able to handle the larger cell? putting a larger cell on does not always mean it will produce more chlorine. the cell draws the current from the power pack which produces chlorine, more current (amps) = more chlorine. some power pack are limited to the amount of current/amps the cell can draw so putting a bigger cell on will only last longer and not produce anymore chlorine than the original T13.

The newer Aquarite controllers can handle the larger cell. The older Aquarite could only handle the T-15 but that was the largest anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.