Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: After Market Salt Cells

1. Back To Top    #1

After Market Salt Cells

I have only been here for a short period of time, and while I still have a lot to learn, I am just totally thrilled by not only what levels my pool chemistry should be at, but also by how all parts of the pool system work together.

We bought our present home 5 years ago, with an existing pool. Very early on, we converted it over to a SWG pool, as "you will never have to concern yourself with chemical balancing again." We counted on the pool guy to set us up with the correct system for our size pool, Agua-rite with T-3 salt cell rated at 15,000 gal. As our pool held 13,500 gallons, this seemed more than adequate.

Since beginning my education here, I've come to learn that while this may be adequate, it certainly isn't optimum. In order for my SWG to produce enough chlorine it pretty much has to work at 100%, 24 hours a day.

I've been looking into upgrading my cell to a T-15, rated at 40,000 gallons. While doing my search, besides OEM, I notice that there is now a lot of after market cells priced 40 to 50% less than the OEM.

I would really appreciate any thoughts or concerns about using after market SWG cells. Am I getting the same product without the name on the cell? Does anyone have any experience with the after-market cells? Should I just consider Aqua-Rite and not get side-tracked?

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by PeteMorris; 09-17-2014 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Correscted rating of T-15 cell
    15' x 30', 13,500 Gal, Inground Plaster Pool . . . Florida Gem Exposed Aggregate Finish . . . Agua-Rite T-3 SWG
    3/4 H.P. Century Centruion Pump . . . Pentair Triniton II, TR60 Sand Filter . . . Hayward AquaVav Tiger Shark Robotic Pool Cleaner
    No shirt . . . No shoes . . . No problems!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: After Market Salt Cells

The T-15 is rated for a 40k pool but that is even better. As for aftermarket, there have been some issues with the Compupool cells. However, some have tried this one:

http://www.titaniumcells.com/t-cell-15.html

Which is assembled by Compupool put uses proprietary plates. Here are some discussions of this cell:

https://www.google.com/search?num=10....0.HGzK6l3q7RU
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the links Mark. The T13's seem to be a good product, I'm not sure if the price savings is worth the trade off for not having OEM. Then again, I not sure that OEM is anything spectacular either.
    15' x 30', 13,500 Gal, Inground Plaster Pool . . . Florida Gem Exposed Aggregate Finish . . . Agua-Rite T-3 SWG
    3/4 H.P. Century Centruion Pump . . . Pentair Triniton II, TR60 Sand Filter . . . Hayward AquaVav Tiger Shark Robotic Pool Cleaner
    No shirt . . . No shoes . . . No problems!!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

a question to ask is, can the SWG power supply be able to handle the larger cell? putting a larger cell on does not always mean it will produce more chlorine. the cell draws the current from the power pack which produces chlorine, more current (amps) = more chlorine. some power pack are limited to the amount of current/amps the cell can draw so putting a bigger cell on will only last longer and not produce anymore chlorine than the original T13.
    16,000lts Fibreglass, Magna Mineral Pool Water
    Jandy CV340 Cartridge filter, Zodiac TRi SWC, Z4 iAqualink, Jandy Laminar Jets, Solar Heating, Spa Jets with Jandy 1.5hp Epump operating everything.

5. Back To Top    #5

The newer Aquarite controllers can handle the larger cell. The older Aquarite could only handle the T-15 but that was the largest anyway.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Tempting. Wish they made a model to replace the Pentair IC40.
    ~13500 gallon gunite pool, Pentair Intelliflo 4x160, Pentair 520 SF cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 400 NG heater
    Pentair Easytouch with IC40 SWCG, Hayward Navigator on dedicated suction line