Balacing: CH too low?

Aug 1, 2014
Bali, Indonesia
Hi again guys!

So, I thought I should post my results and see if I can get some help here. :) It's not too bad actually, but I do struggle with CH.

Anyways, here are the results:

pH: 7.6
FC: 4.5
CC: 0
TA: 70
CH: 80
CYA: ~55

So, my pH is still rising, but slower now than before it seems. Need to add a liter of HCL about once every 2 weeks now. Not too bad.

But my CH level is still the same.. And as far as I know, I cant get Calcium chloride here. Are there any other way for me to rise my CH? I thought that if it was too low, it would take CH from the concrete in the pool. But that would have made the CH rise, right? But nothings happening here..

Also, as some already might know already, I've got limited chlorine options. Looking into SWG as the CYA is rising way too quick here. Just 2 months ago the CYA was close to zero (or very low). Since the pool is quite big, and water expensive, I cant refill. Not as a part of the maintenance at least. :)

When I open my eyes under water, I can feel it stings my eyes a bit. Not too bad, but more than I would think. But it doesn't burn afterwards, and there is no smell of chlorine in the water. And pH seems fine. But I just got back home from honeymoon in the Philippines, and the pool at Shangi-La must have been a SWG pool, as the water tasted salty. But it was absolutely lovely to open my eyes under water there.. In fact, it was so comfortable that I found myself sitting on the bottom just looking under water :) hehe... I can be a child sometimes.. I know..
It's not that my water here is that bad, but I just don't want to keep my eyes open for too long under water in case there might be something wrong. Any ideas?

I think SWG is the way to go for chlorination, as this climate and the limited chemicals gives me no other option. So that will be the next stepp I guess.. :)

Oh, and the pool is 100% clear. Very nice indeed. I just struggle mainly with eyes stinging under water, CH levels too low, and CYA raising.

CH is low. You should be able to get calcium chloride shipped to you although the shipping would probably be high cost. It's sold as a deicer in colder climates but that's not a hot commodity in Indonesia. You can check with industrial chemical suppliers in the area, if there are any. Another good option would be to contact a hotel or resort in the area that has a large pool. They most certainly would have to have a source for it and you could ask to buy some from them or have them order you some. If it has never increased, that is odd as if the water was corrosive (very negative CSI). I think your CSI with current numbers is near -0.6 at 90 degrees F, so it's definitely in the corrosive range.

SWG would definitely be the way to go if you have a hard time getting bleach.

Thanks for your reply :)

Yes, I find it strange that the CH does not increase, as it should be taking it from the plaster (which is a bad thing, but the main reason for me to actually get the CH up by adding calcium chloride..).
Not a bad idea to contact hotels. I'll see if I can ask around. But chances are nobody here knows anything. The main poolshops here don't know anything.. At least not up north, where we stay.

I think we'll buy an SWG soon. Cant get bleach with good quality, so it's cheaper and better to just use SWG.. We need almost 500kg of salt on the first load though! xD hehehe.. Thats a lot.. :)

Again, thanks. =)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.