Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leak!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Leak!!!

I have a sand filter with a Hayward vari flo valve. The 2" pipe and is leaking at the last coupling/joint from the pump to the valve. My home warranty co claims that the pump is oversized for the valve and caused it to fail/denied repair. The recommendation was to replace the filter. Does this make sense? I would think that the valve or pump should be replaced. Any advice would be appreciated!!!! Thank you
    23k gal, fiberglass, in ground with spa, ao smith 1.5 hp pump, gas heater, chlorine, sand filter
    ...date of construction unknown

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leak!!!

Welcome to TFP!

Your home warranty of full of B.S. like all of them. Pool pumps at most can generate like 40psi and usually operate closer to 20psi, a properly installed 2" PVC coupling has a maximum operating pressure reading of well over 100psi.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Im sure they inspected your property and your pool. If they didn't note it as a coverage issue, they sure didn't hesitate to take your money. That sounds like an implied contract to me. (Legal training via Perry mason etc...)
    16x32 DiamondBrite kidney, 12,500 gal. (circa 1985) 3/4hp Hayward SII, Harmsco BF84, Taylor K-2006, Hayward SwimPure Plus / Tcell-15
    Boca Roton, Fl. USA.

prior 17k gal. vinyl, Sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you... I was thinking the same but don't have enough knowledge to back it up. Any suggestions on how I should approach the denial... what questions should I ask the contractor to validate his recommendation to replace the filter???

- - - Updated - - -

home warranty co does not inspect... they just deny if installed improperly which is the claim since contractor says pump is over sized. I'm not a pool person but from what I read on the specs the valve is rated at 50 psi and per the gauge I am under that. Maybe the gauge is wrong but how does contractor or myself determine that? I just wonder ... if it is not an easy fix do they come up with something to deny that homeowner will accept???
    23k gal, fiberglass, in ground with spa, ao smith 1.5 hp pump, gas heater, chlorine, sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Most pool equipment is rated to 50psi ... pool pumps are not capable of producing that much pressure. They are in the business of denying claims ... I am not sure how to argue with them when their claims are illogical.

I am still not clear where the leak is located. Add pictures. And equipment details to your signature.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

IMG_2079[1].jpg
    video of leak attached, thanks

7. Back To Top    #7

What size is that sand filter? Sure looks like a good size. Not sure how they can day a 1.5HP pump is too big when they sell 3HP VS pumps.

I see no video ... on my phone at least.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

From Clark Howard:

With a typical home warranty policy, you pay anywhere from $400 to $600 annually. In return, you supposedly get peace of mind when one of the mechanical components of your home breaks. But in my 24 years on the air, I've never taken a call where the warranty was a good thing. It's almost always a bad thing. You pay for peace of mind that is a mirage.

Here's how it plays out in reality: If something goes wrong in your home, the warranty companies are brutally difficult to deal with. They require you to use their contractor only. That contractor may or may not come on schedule while you're burning up in the heat of summer without AC or freezing in the dead of winter without heat. And then you've got a deductible on top of that!

http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clar...written/nDYMR/
    TF-100 | 13.6k gal (24' Round) AG | Chlorine | Sand Filter | Two Speed Motor | Installed June 2014 | Last Opened April 24 2016

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome to TFP.

Going for the simple answer, but have you tried tightening the connection? I had a similar issue, and just needed to tighten the connection. It may be hard to access with a regular wrench. I used a strap wrench, very carefully, to avoid over-tightening.
    16kgal IG Gunite, SSwimQuip Sand Filter, 3/4hp Emerson Pump, built 1968