Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Broken return jet face plate.

1. Back To Top    #1

Broken return jet face plate.

I have 2 of what it appears to be Hayward Return Inlet Faceplates (SPX1411B?) broken in my pool. Here is one of them (ignore the pink - it's antifreeze):

It doesn't seem to cause any problem, but I would like to replace it. From this diagram (different type, but I assume it's similar):

it seems that it's affixed by 4 screws and no bolts and there is no danger of losing a nut or something. That was one of my concerns - I was afraid that once I unscrew them I won't be able to put it back together. Doesn't seem to be the case, but I just want to confirm to be sure.

Another question I have is this - can I replace it under water? I can see that it pinches/pushes the liner against the return assembly and when unscrewed it might/will leak water in. Will this be a problem? Will I be better off waiting for pool closure next fall and do it then?

Thanks!
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Broken return jet face plate.

I had to replace one and did it under water. Yours looks just like mine. Just 4 screws, no washers, no nuts, no drama. Get a new rubber gasket as well.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

3. Back To Top    #3

Bdex,

Thanks for your response. I assume when you say gasket you meant this black rubber gasket pictured:

Does it go between the face plate and the liner? Seems like it would go behind the liner and I'm not sure that I want to peel that off much. Especially if I decide to do it under water

It also seems that it's cheaper to buy the whole assembly instead of buying gasket and the face plate.
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

4. Back To Top    #4

Hard to winterize with cracks in that ring. I had to replace one in my pool this summer.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

i put a rubber stopper plug in first and then a regular plug over it.

6. Back To Top    #6

Bdex,

I was wondering if you saw my Q regarding the gasket? Does it go between the face plate and the liner?

Thanks!

7. Back To Top    #7

The gasket should be between the face plate and the liner.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

8. Back To Top    #8

The gasket is under liner,faceplate has ridges that press liner into gasket

9. Back To Top    #9

If that's the case, i would rather not disturb it. I would imagine at this point it's all nicely pressed together.