New AGP owner!! So excited!!!

marianegs

Bronze Supporter
Jul 8, 2014
NJ
Hi everyone, I am a new AGP owner of a 15 foot round. Unfortunately, I thought I was going to be able to swim in my new pool this year (put in the permit applications in on June 7), but since my town has been such a PIA, I just got the approval to install it this week. So needless to say, since here in NJ, its already in the upper 60's, it looks like no swimming this year. :( I have fully prepared myself with the kit that was recommended on here, etc and I am ready to go! Since they are installing this week, I would like to run the filter, etc. to make sure all the new equipment is working. So my question is: Should I completely "open" the pool, put all the stuff in and run the filter, etc and then wait a week or so and then close the pool? Do I need to wait a specific amount of time before I close the pool, after opening it? Thank you for any help you can give...

Congrats and welcome to TFP !
Yes i would open it even if your not going to use it. You'll get to try out your new test kit also !
First I would test PH and adjust if necessary.
Second use bleach to get your FC up to 3 ppm and get your CYA ready in a sock and hang it in front of the return with pump running until it's all dissolved. You can also put it in the skimmer if it'll fit. I just hang mine over the edge in front of the return with a weight on it so it stays put. I would shoot for a CYA level of 30 since you'll probably close in a short time. After the CYA is dissolved then bump your FC up to 5-6 ppm. Don't bother testing for CYA, as it can take up to a week to fully register on a test. Just assume it's there for now. Use Pool Math for all your doseing needs.
We can cover the bases on closing when your ready. Theres no set time after opening it.
If you haven't read any articles in pool school here are a couple good ones to start with
ABC'S Of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Levels
How To Chlorinate Your Pool
If you could add your pool and equipment info to your sig that will help us help you better.
Any questions you may have don't hesitate to ask ! ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.