New pool guy

Aug 12, 2008
Hi guys I am a new pool owner. I bought a 21ft round and added a custom 8X8 deck. I am still trying to get to the landscaping done, just not enough time in the day. I wanted a much larger pool, but with the zoning regulations, I was only allowed a 21ft. I have a acre, but most of my property is in the front and side part of the house which only leaves me a small portion in the back. But we are happy, it actually just perfect. Well look forward to talking with you all.

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on your new pool!

Just a couple of housekeeping items I'd like to mention, if I could;

(1) Pool info in sig - This information really helps the local guru's when trying to diagnose any problem you might have and bring to the forum. If you need help with your sig, we'll be glad to assist.

(2) The Pool School is a great source of information about water chemistry, rules about posting, etc. You can reach it by clicking on the link in the page header, or by clicking here.

(3)If you haven't purchased a good test kit yet, please do so as soon as you can. It will be the best investment you'll make for your pool, as it will allow you to take control of your water and make maintenance much easier. If you ever have a water chemistry issue, the first thing we'll ask for are your numbers, and we ain't asking about the Powerball! :lol: Test strips are notoriously unreliable, as are pool store tests. The two most recommended are the TF100 test kit sold by a forum member here and also the Taylor K-2006, which can also be bought at various online retailers (and some brick and mortar stores, too!).

Again, welcome, and look forward to typing atcha!

Mike

MikeInTN said:
notoriously unreliable, as are pool store tests. The two most recommended are the TF100 test kit sold by a forum member here and also the Taylor K-2006, which can also be bought at various online retailers (and some brick and mortar stores, too!).

Mike
My pool store seems to have a very reliable water test. They take a droper and drop the water into these little plastic boxes. It then relates to a computer and you get a complete printed sheet with all the levels. It seems hi tech to me anyway. But I am interested in the TF-100 test kit. I have been using test strips that came with my synergy kit and they are very difficult to read sometimes, but for the most part I always seem to be in the ball park and have had crystal clear water all summer other than two small algae problems that were my fault, I fixed both problems overnight with power 60 algae killer. But if you can give me the info on the TF 100 test kit, it would be appreciated

NJpoolguy said:
MikeInTN said:
notoriously unreliable, as are pool store tests. The two most recommended are the TF100 test kit sold by a forum member here and also the Taylor K-2006, which can also be bought at various online retailers (and some brick and mortar stores, too!).

Mike
My pool store seems to have a very reliable water test. They take a droper and drop the water into these little plastic boxes. It then relates to a computer and you get a complete printed sheet with all the levels. It seems hi tech to me anyway. But I am interested in the TF-100 test kit. I have been using test strips that came with my synergy kit and they are very difficult to read sometimes, but for the most part I always seem to be in the ball park and have had crystal clear water all summer other than two small algae problems that were my fault, I fixed both problems overnight with power 60 algae killer. But if you can give me the info on the TF 100 test kit, it would be appreciated

You can find information on the TF100 here. Dave aka Duraleigh is the forum member who makes up the test kits, sells, and ships them.

The testing system your pool store uses is a colorimetric system, I do believe. The computer shines a light at the little plastic box, and tries to decipher what color the light is coming through the sample. You'll do the same exact test method when you try to determine what your pH is. You'll mix a reagent with your water, hold your comparator up to a light or a white background, and try to match the color of the sample with the different shades which correspond to different pH levels. You just became high tech.. 8)

NJpoolguy said:
My pool store seems to have a very reliable water test. They take a droper and drop the water into these little plastic boxes. It then relates to a computer and you get a complete printed sheet with all the levels. It seems hi tech to me anyway.
From your description it sounds like a LaMotte Waterlink Express setup and Datamate software. We use it where I work and I still have to back up the testing with a Taylor kit for many of the tests because of limitations in the colorimeter used. It is high tech but the main reason stores use it is because you can do a battery of 8 tests in 5 minutes. It's fast and in a pool store time is money when you do free testing. Accurate results are NOT the top priority, selling pool chemicals is.