Low pH / High TA: Borax..?

Re: Calgary Hard Water: How to address?

Thanks JBLizzle,

I only have test strips to check tap water hardness at the moment.
So any reading I give you would be somewhat inaccurate.

Calgary City has stated that our hardness levels have an average of 14.4 grains / Imperial gallon (?).
It varies from 12 to 17 throughout the year.

Re: Calgary Hard Water: How to address?

Thanks JBLizzle,

I only have test strips to check tap water hardness at the moment.
So any reading I give you would be somewhat inaccurate.

Calgary City has stated that our hardness levels have an average of 14.4 grains / Imperial gallon (?).
It varies from 12 to 17 throughout the year.

14.4 gr/gal is approximately 205ppm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calgary tap water is approx. '300' hardness units (?). (1 grain/ImpG = 17.1 'hardness units' apparently)
This is also c.240 mg/L CaCO3.

Is this too hard to leave uncontrolled?
Won't this damage components with calcium build up?
Or do you BBB guys not worry about hardness / hardness control (as long as it's not too soft)?

No, we care about calcium hardness and targets are suggested by PoolMath. In some areas like mine (SW USA) , the fill water is really hard and we get a lot of evaporation. So folks here try to control scaling by keeping the water as balanced as possible so that our CSI (also calculated by PoolMath) is close to zero and/or slightly negative. Some people can operate their pool with CH values up near 1000ppm without issue. It just takes careful balancing of your CSI value.

If the water eventually gets too hard to control, many here will drain and refill or, if water restrictions are in place, they can try to find reverse osmosis treatment services.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, in a pool a small positive CSI doesn't usually scale. Scale is usually not seen until the CSI gets to around +0.7 and certainly by +1.0 but at +0.3 it's not usually seen. Of course, the CSI in a heat exchanger in a gas heater can be around +0.23 units higher due to the 30ºF higher temperature.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.