Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leak near hot tub controller

1. Back To Top    #1

Leak near hot tub controller

My hot tub is leaking from one of the hand-tightened couplers next to the controller (see picture). Is there a user-serviceable washer or part in this area that I could replace? I have the tub drained, but wanted to check here before I tried to loosen the coupler to see if I can fix it. I turned it as tight as I could, but it still leaks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~32k gal, plaster, 3HP Intelliflo, 100 sqft Quad D.E., EasyTouch SWG, Gas/solar heating, Waterfalls x2

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leak near hot tub controller

The pipe at the bottom of the controller? If so those are the heater connections and I'll bet if you take off the leaking one you will find an "O" ring inside that seals it. Tighter is not necessarily better with "O" rings, no cuts and proper lubrication when installing helps.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. Yes, it is the pipe that runs through the bottom of the controller. I will go ahead and un-couple the connections (might as well replace both sides) and get new o-rings. What do you use to lubricate them upon installation?
    ~32k gal, plaster, 3HP Intelliflo, 100 sqft Quad D.E., EasyTouch SWG, Gas/solar heating, Waterfalls x2

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by garymwyatt View Post
    Thanks. Yes, it is the pipe that runs through the bottom of the controller. I will go ahead and un-couple the connections (might as well replace both sides) and get new o-rings. What do you use to lubricate them upon installation?
    I'm not being a smart***, but "O" ring lube. Comes in a small tube. I've seen it at Home Depot & Lowes in the seasonal pool section.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Leak near hot tub controller

Looks like a balboa controller and the white ones with two screws on each one are the heater unions. They leak all of the time. And yes. Replace both, they are cheap. And if you have to go to the pool store to get o-ring lube, do so. Don't use Vaseline or silicone. It breaks down the seals.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks to all. Will follow your instructions and report back.