Pipe Heating Cable to use as sand filter warmer for freezing temps??

DaneCE

Jul 1, 2011
VA
Ok , this is another one of my crazy ideas. These cables are available in lengths from 3 feet to 80 feet. My thought was to buy a 40 footer and wrap my 150 lb. sand filter a few times and wrap it in heavy blankets then a tarp. Last winter I had a 150 watt Halogen bulb under a tarp and blankets trying to prevent a freeze-up.

I have read that as long as the pump is running, the water will keep flowing despite below freezing temps. For several days during the worst part of my East Coast deep freeze I had the pump on non-stop. I didn't have any frozen pipes despite having a half inch of ice on the pool surface. I don't "close" my pool, I leave it uncovered and clean enough to swim in...if you're a Polar Bear.

I have a 15' x 30' AGP with a 1 HP Hayward pump and 150 lb. sand filter. Some of the plumbing is 8" underground for 10' between the pool and pump/filter.

Should I always trust that my pipes wont freeze if I leave the pump on or should I try to at least warm it a bit?

Here's what I'm looking at on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00002N6MB...olid=6QGIVH5LDL9O&coliid=I197P74WKPW85W&psc=1

I would believe it would be better to warm the pipes and disregard the filter body (although just a blanket would really help the body)

They make several varieties of wrap-around electrical cords for various piping and it is easy to install and shuts off automatically when not needed..

Running the pump is still the best insurance but the additional pipe tape would be like a belt and suspenders!.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.