Question about draining my pool and my grass

Nov 13, 2013
Pearland, TX
When that inevitable time comes when my CYA gets too high (cause I'm using pucks) and I need to drain my pool, can I use the pool water on my grass?

Will my grass burn because of Ph? Should I adjust Ph before hand then partially drain?

Currently CYA @ 45.

I know, I know what is this guy doing using pucks?:crazy:

Thanks pwrstrk. Well as you may or may not know I'm a first time pool owner going on 4months. So I'm reading and studying the TFP method. I wanted to "learn" my pool equip and the chemicals first before I started the TFP method.

I saved at least $750 by maintaining the pool myself so far this year. We were going to pay someone.

I figure I will attempt to make the switch next swimming season, I plan on hiring a company to use chlorine gas.

Yes, there are a couple in the Houston area that use chlorine gas. The charge about $69 per month and come out weekly.

A majority of pool companies use pucks or just shock your pool weekly. The ones I've been looking at either use liquid chlorine or chlorine gas.

Yes, there are a couple in the Houston area that use chlorine gas. The charge about $69 per month and come out weekly.

A majority of pool companies use pucks or just shock your pool weekly. The ones I've been looking at either use liquid chlorine or chlorine gas.
I know it's your pool and you can do what you like, but that seems like a lot of money. The one company I found on line did what you sa, but all they did was add chlorine and CYA. No cleaning or other maintenance.

For the cost of a few months of this service you could install a Stenner pump and automate the addition of liquid chlorine.

I did find a post from chem geek from 2009 regarding these services
There's a pool service in Arizona, Nevada, Texas and southern California called Pool Chlor and they use mostly chlorine gas without the problems you mention (as far as I know -- do you know which pool service it was that had the problems you have seen?), but they test the chemistry and dose known amounts. Their pools have high CYA of around 100 ppm which helps keep the chlorine from breaking down as quickly in the intense hot desert sun. They typically dose up to around 14 ppm FC and a week later the FC has dropped to around 4 ppm so this is sufficient to prevent algae growth and is a range of active chlorine that doesn't irritate. 14 ppm FC with 100 ppm CYA has the same active chlorine concentration as 4 ppm FC with 30 ppm CYA. As for pH control, they just have a higher Total Alkalinity (TA) level, usually around 120-140 ppm. Even with 120 ppm TA and 100 ppm CYA, going from 4 ppm FC to 14 ppm FC using chlorine gas lowers the pH from 7.5 to 7.2 or from 7.7 to 7.34. The pH then rises slowly over the week as carbon dioxide is outgassed (TA is a mostly a measure of the over-carbonation of the water). In 15,000 gallons, one would need to add about 5 cups (about 3 pounds) of baking soda to maintain the TA level over the week (the TA would drop by about 15 ppm over a week due to the combination of outgassing, which raises pH, and chlorine usage, which is acidic and lowers pH and TA). So using chlorine gas can work very effectively IF you know what you are doing. As with anything else, if you don't know what you are doing, serious problems can occur.
I'm not sure if his opinions/statements still stand regarding this issue as a lot of knowledge has been gained in five years.

But hey, like I said it's your pool and money. Live life like you like!!

If your FC is very high, you can lower it before adding water to the grass. If you do this fairly quickly, dechlorinating, adding water, then adding chlorine back, you shouldn't get algae. Grass should tolerate a few ppm FC, but if you are at 10 or so I'd lower the FC first. Either that or quickly dilute what you add to the grass which you should probably do anyway, mostly to dilute the salt level.

As for what I wrote about chlorine gas from pool services, that is still accurate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the post.

Good to know Chem geek thanks!

This chlorine gas provider comes highly recommended form several people in my neighborhood. I've checked them out (angies list) and they have been in business going on 15 years. My guess if they had troubles/complaints they would not be in business any longer.

Maybe down the road I will consider changing to a Steiner pump, but right now all my equipment is new and I've only had the pool going on 5 months.

My wife and and I have have pretty hectic schedules with work and grad school, so its hard to find the time right now for pool maintenance. I was able to maintain during the summer break but now that school is starting up again its been tough.

When that inevitable time comes when my CYA gets too high (cause I'm using pucks) and I need to drain my pool, can I use the pool water on my grass?

Will my grass burn because of Ph? Should I adjust Ph before hand then partially drain?

Currently CYA @ 45.

I know, I know what is this guy doing using pucks?:crazy:

Well, when I backwash I take the hose and use it to water my lawn, as I can't see wasting water. Never had any issues. My ph is always 7.4-7.6 and fc at 9 with a cya of 55.

Oh, and stop using pucks!! :p

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.