Gunite discoloration

acroy

May 11, 2010
Dallas TX
What is this discoloration and should I do anything about it?

Ignore the debris on top - I'm talking about the splotchy discoloration

Facts:

I've had the pool 5yrs
Gunite is 8-10yrs old
I'm pretty sure p.o. had issues with low pH (some grout corrosion around tiles evident) and high pH after converting to SWG (scaling on the tiles when we moved in!)
I have strictly maintained the pool chemistry according to "Water Balance for SWG's" since ownership.
For the first year I ran the pool at slightly negative CSI to remove the scaling from the tiles.

The discoloration is visible only in indirect light - had to wait for an overcast day to be able to photograph. It's been more or less this way since we've owned it. Is it scaling?

I am lead to think it's scaling from p.o. as the pool cleaner wheels have left 'tracks' on the wall at the point it climbs so far, and no farther; and the wheels spin against the gunite.

Input welcome, thanks!!

Hmmm...not sure what that might be. Does it feel smooth? If it's scale, it'll be sharp and rough. Also, I don't recall that scale is all that visible. You know you have it though when you step on it. Mine was like walking on needles. If you can see scale, it should be a whitish color. I'd be inclined to take a wire brush to it and see what happens. Your plaster is not that old yet and so it shouldn't be wearing through to the gunite. I'm thinking what you have is some sort of staining that took place at some point. Is it white or painted plaster? Worst case scenario is that the pool was not well taken care of and that the plaster is wearing out before it really should be.

It is very smooth. it is white plaster, not painted. It is difficult or impossible to 'feel' the difference between the 2 colors. In fact, you can only really see it on a cloudy day.
I think it's been this way for a long time, I've just gotten pickier and notice it more :)
Sounds like it is not a major issue and may be nothing I can do about it!

As long as there is nothing going on with the gunite that is showing through, it probably is just some sort of flaw or stain or whatever in the plaster. As my plaster got older, several places wore right through to the gunite, but those were obvious holes and pits. Since you say you can't feel any difference, it probably is some sort of stain. Have you tried one of those large "erasers" that they sell at pool stores that hooks to the end of a pole (the same way a brush or net attaches)? I'd probably try it and see if it rubs out any of that discoloration. That, plus, as I mentioned, wire brushing. If nothing helps, some day when it is time to replaster it'll all be gone! I looked at stains left from metals in the water (when we initially filled the new pool) for over 20 years. Now that we had everything redone it is so nice that finally they are no longer there.

Mine's even worse. I started getting the discoloration (& black algae) about 2 years after it being done (5 yrs ago). My previous 35 yr old plaster looked way better. I attribute it to crappy installation (I should have known not to use a company called Craypo). My pool has used significant amounts of acid compared to the old plaster, so perhaps they are related.

That looks like gray mottling. I have the same problem, and it was on a new plaster/pool, so I went back to the pool builder to ask them to fix it. Check out my thread in this section "gray mottling problem".

Unfortunately, this cannot be fixed unless you replaster. You can have perfect water chemistry or even do an acid wash, and you'll still have gray mottling because of the way the plaster was installed.

It sounds like you inherited this pool... you said it's 8-10 years old, but you had it only 5 years? If I were you, I would budget for a replaster and pull the trigger when you are ready. Plaster is already 10 years old, so a replaster looks within a few years in your future as long as you have this pool.

Thanks for the feedback!:cheers:

I can't tell that there is any issue at all except the discoloration. The plaster is smooth, feels great. Even the step edges, etc with a lot of traffic are in good shape. 5kids in the house! pool gets lots of use. I have been performing VERY careful maintenance of the chems to try to maximize plaster & equipment life.

I'll wait till there is a structural or severe cosmetic issue with the plaster before replacing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.