Winterizing buried above ground pool....

gtnos

Jun 9, 2013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
this pool is only 18 inches above ground on a slope, so I cant drain it at all. in fact, im actually going to fill it to just an 1/2inch or so below top of skimmer openings. i bought the Aquador skimmer plates for my doughboy pool and im going to order the dryco pool cover drain that flows water off the winter cover and out of the return. the cover drain comes with a special adapter that screws into the return to connect the drain hose that also closes off the return. the second return i will use the block off plate that came with the pool.

my concern is that i cant drain all the water out of the pipes. this pool is hard plumbed and most of the piping is buried 18 inches + deep. I can blow water out of the skimmer lines through the skimmers with my air compressor, but I cant really get to that second return to blow air out, as it will be blocked off under water.

plus, the other return will have drain water from the cover going through the piping.

currently, I have no drain spigots in the plumbing (didnt think of it during build) but I am going to cut out all the plumbing near the pump when its time, let the water drain out and replumb with some drain valves in the lines.

my main question is:

Even if I cant get all the water out of the lines, but I leave the valve drains open in the lines to allow for ice expansion and excess water draining, will that be OK or can the pipes still freeze and break?

thanks in advance for replies. :D

You blow the returns from the pump end. Put the winterizing plug in loosely, and allow the return to bubble a while, then tighten it down and verify there are no bubbles. Not sure how yours will work without knowing how it is plumbed.

The Dryco drain works with the plumbing disconnected from the return. If your filter outlet is higher than the return, you will have to remove your return plumbing to make it work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.