bolt on clamp of the pump is stripped and stuck

midtngal

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 26, 2007
Nashville, TN
:wave: I'm baaaack! This has NOT been my best summer season! :( As I sit hear listening to the pool filling up yet again (TWICE this summer!) due to out of control water, I decided to tackle the bolt that is on my clamp on my pump. I had to buy a new clamp this year because it was still leaking after tightening it as far as it would go and wouldn't close enough even with a new o-ring. As I tightened this bolt more and more, at one point it became stripped and I just left it alone to deal with later. Well, I decided to tackle it today. I have turned that thing 100 times and it still won't come lose! :-x Any suggestions on how to get this clamp off?

TIA

Hello again midtngal,
Sorry to hear you have had a bad summer.
If you would get the model number off your pump and get a replacement bolt and hardware, also inquire about new o-ring. Using a hacksaw, cut the bolt in half. Once that is cut, remove band and inspect seal and replace. Coat o-ring with liberal amount of silicone pool lubricant. The lubricant will help make a watertight seal. Install without wiping lubricant off. install pump back together with new bolt assembly.
Hope this works out for you.

If the band clamp looks like this:
http://www.mypoolyard.com/product_info.php/pentair-band-clamp-challenger-pump-355320-p-5353

which does look pretty similar to what I see in your video, it appears that there is an open area you can peek into to see what the bolt is engaging with -- i.e. a nut that is somehow captive in that curved part of the band. If you look in there and see something turning whenever you turn the bolt, maybe you can get a tool into the open area to jam the nut in place while you loosen the bolt. You might have to use a mirror to peek in, if you can't get your head in the right position.

As for what is 'stripped' you won't really know if it is the bolt, the nut, or something else that is damaged until you get it apart.

This is just a guess from looking at your video and at the linked image (above) -- I haven't seen one of these band clamps in person.

Well, just to make sure that my season ends with a BANG...I have just ordered ANOTHER band clamp! I got out my trusty Dremel and went to work...being ever so careful to not touch the coils of the clamp. The outer part of the bolt came off and left behind the inner coils firmly in place! I got out just about every tool I own to get that thing off! No luck, so I went back with the Dremel. As I got closer and closer to the clamp coils, it became apparent that this thing wasn't coming off and if I kept it up I would be left with a pump I couldn't run until the replacement came in. Considering that I just spent the weekend draining and refilling, I chose to stop while I was still ahead and order the new part. So, I will need to cut off this new-this-season clamp to replace it just in time to close the freakin' pool just about! I'm just about to believe that it can't come soon enough! So, thanks for the help. I just wish it would have turned out better! :)

In your collection of tools do you have a Vise-Grip (also know as a locking pliers)? It's pretty much mandatory if you want to free up something like this.

When you put the new clamp on don't go crazy tightening it. You should only tighten it with as much pressure as 2 fingers can muster. If you've got to start gripping it with palms or both hands, that's starting to get too much.

Also you may have a situation called galling. This is very common with bolts and nuts made of soft stainless steel, which may be the case here. The threaded parts actually weld themselves solid from the friction of being threaded together. You should apply some grease or oil to the threads to prevent this. Just about any automotive lubricant will work.

Reactions: Ignoramus
In your collection of tools do you have a Vise-Grip (also know as a locking pliers)? It's pretty much mandatory if you want to free up something like this.

Ha! THREE different sizes of them! :lol: Plus, a crescent wrench and 2 different sizes of Robo-Grips!

When you put the new clamp on don't go crazy tightening it. You should only tighten it with as much pressure as 2 fingers can muster. If you've got to start gripping it with palms or both hands, that's starting to get too much.

I did this because it was still leaking even after a new o-ring and pool lube! I tightened the first time just enough that I thought it was enough...didn't want to have this happen (it's not the first time!). Then as I would check and it was still leaking, I would turn it a couple more times. When I was doing this the last time in the Spring and felt it kinda let go, I knew it had stripped so I just left it be and let it leak all summer. It wasn't a huge amount and all the rain we've had kept me from having to fill it so it wasn't hurting anything. But since it's getting close to closing time, I thought it would be a good time to address it. Pffttt... :hammer:

Also you may have a situation called galling. This is very common with bolts and nuts made of soft stainless steel, which may be the case here. The threaded parts actually weld themselves solid from the friction of being threaded together. You should apply some grease or oil to the threads to prevent this. Just about any automotive lubricant will work.

I think this is exactly what has happened as there doesn't seem to be any telling difference between what was the bolt and what is part of the clamp. I've got spray lubricant and WD-40 so I'll use that when I get the new one in. I thought had last time, but maybe not.

Thanks for your help! :handshake: :salut: :bowdown:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
:mad: *^# :rant:!@$*^:hammer:$^%#!*:grrrr:!!!!!!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Well, guess not really considering my luck, but... I got the new clamp in, cut off the old one and put the new one on. Tightening it only a little at a time after "hand-tight". It was still leaking so I turned it a couple more times and BAMMMM...it's stripped again! (yes, I did use WD-40 to keep it from melding again but that apparently didn't help) Could someone get a lighter and let me light a $50 dollar bill! I am so tired of pool problems this year I could just scream! So, at this point I am going to just let it drip until it's time to close.

My question is...anybody have suggestions on alternate equipment that wouldn't involve a new pump? I have an Emerson 1 hp because that is what would fit with the Pentair setup I have. Is there a different setup I could use that would use this pump? The plumbing on that is starting to leak a little so I am going to have to redo it in the Spring anyway; I might as well make the changes then if there is.

TIA

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.