Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Baker Hydro Issues?

1. Back To Top    #1

Orlando, FL

Baker Hydro Issues?

Hello, I just purchased a home with a pool. Specs I can remember off the top of my head are in my signature. It was neglected slightly for the past couple months so I am in the learning/cleaning process. I have a taylor k-2006 on order.

I was told by the home inspector I used that it was an older design pool, and the pump and filter housing were probably all original (1989). He mentioned it was a baker hydro(maybe?) design. I was trying to brush some of the dirt to the main drain and it didn't seem to suck anything in. If I run a hose from the pump line to the main drain line I can see it sucking dirt in. It seems like the main drain just has a pipe running up to the bottom of the pool skimmer basket area, and the pump pulls from another line in the skimmer basket. Is it typical for this design to not have much suction on the main drain?

Also, there are no valves of any kind on any of the pump equipment except a drain on the filter housing. Are there any missing valves that I should plumb back in?
    12,000 gallon IG Plaster Pool
    Aquatech MYB100 Cartridge filter
    Hayward 1HP 1.1SF single speed pump(unknown model as of now)
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Baker Hydro Issues?

Welcome to TFP!

Your drain configuration is fairly typical. Drains are designed not to have a lot of concentrated suction, so you usually won't see or feel much.

There is really little need for valves because your drain and skimmer are plumbed together.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Columbia, SC

Welcome to TFP.

To follow the pool care methods taught here you need to arm yourself with one of the recommended test kits. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

You probably need a diverter like this in your skimmer. It balances the suction between the skimmer & the main drain. MD won't suck without it.
    Skimmer Equalizer.jpg
    Search for skimmer diverter for more examples. There's even a youtube video about it.

Good luck!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.