What is going on?

Jun 8, 2014
Rogers, AR
I add DE to my sand filter.

My starting pressure has been 14.5 I was able to go four weeks without back washing. Last week I had to backwash and my starting pressure was 15. I back washed a couple of times and couldn't get it any lower. So I figured this is my new pressure. I ended up back washing three times last week because the pressure kept shooting up within a few hours to a day later. I said forget the DE after the last backwash on Friday and last night I thought the pool had a lot more particles than usual floating past the light. So I added a cup and a half of DE. Usually I add two cups, I left the pump running all night and this morning the pressure was up to 19. Why was I able to go four weeks and now I can only go hours to maybe a day, day and a half?

The water has cooled down so no one is even swimming for the last week. The pool is perfectly balanced and looks great.

Are you sure it is perfectly balanced? Has the FC ever dropped too low?

The pressure goes up when the filter catches something, that is the only reason. So, maybe there is low level algae growth?

Are you sure it is perfectly balanced? Has the FC ever dropped too low?

The pressure goes up when the filter catches something, that is the only reason. So, maybe there is low level algae growth?

Anything is possible. I test everyday, five days a week with the OTO and twice weekly with the big boy kit and never let chlorine go below 6 my CYA is 40, my PH runs 7.5. I brush weekly and vacuum a couple of times a week.it just seems like as soon as I add the DE it starts to shoot up fast. From Friday until yesterday it stayed right at 15 until I added DE last night when I ran four weeks up until now.

I am having trouble brushing the lower parts of the ladder and steps since the water is way too cold for me to get into the pool now. I will run an occult tonight.

Here are my numbers from yesterday

FCC 7
CC 0
CH 100
TA 120
CYA 40
PH 7.2

I added two cups of acid yesterday because my PH was up to 7.8 and I am trying the slow method of reducing TA. It usually hangs at 7.5 but we had rain off and on the last few days and I wanted to take advantage of the chance to lower TA.

Just a question - did you follow the procedure outlined in PoolSchool for adding DE? Just wondering how much you added initially and how you added it.

You can always try to reset things by doing a deep clean if the sand filter if you feel the pressure is too high. You could use the deep clean process to inspect the filter components. My concern for you would be a plugged lateral that needs to be cleared. If you had any kind of deep channeling prior to adding DE, it is entirely possible DE could have made it all the way down to the laterals and, though rare, partially plugged them.

Its work, but since no one is swimming anyway, it might be a good time to deep clean the filter.

Yes, I followed the directions exactly. The first time I added it slowly and used two cups. I went four weeks until backwash last week on Tuesday. I couldn't get pressure back down to 14.5 so I immediately backwashed again and it stayed at 15 added two cups of DE and figured it was my new pressure. Wednesday I had to backwash again, added two cups of DE. Friday I had to backwash again. By Friday I had enough so I said forget the DE then last night I saw a ton of particles floating past the light so I added 1 1/2 cups and this morning pressure was back up to 19. From Friday until last night the pressure stayed at 15

When I add the DE I remove skimmer basket w/sock and mix DE with water then add a bit at a time pouring into the skimmer wait a few minutes then add more. Then I wait a good 10 minutes and replace skimmer basket.

I have thought about cleaning the filter. I only bought this house a couple of months ago and know the pool was built in 2006 and probably has never been cleaned. It kind of overwhelms me but I could be up to the challenge.

Yes, I followed the directions exactly. The first time I added it slowly and used two cups. I went four weeks until backwash last week on Tuesday. I couldn't get pressure back down to 14.5 so I immediately backwashed again and it stayed at 15 added two cups of DE and figured it was my new pressure. Wednesday I had to backwash again, added two cups of DE. Friday I had to backwash again. By Friday I had enough so I said forget the DE then last night I saw a ton of particles floating past the light so I added 1 1/2 cups and this morning pressure was back up to 19. From Friday until last night the pressure stayed at 15

When I add the DE I remove skimmer basket w/sock and mix DE with water then add a bit at a time pouring into the skimmer wait a few minutes then add more. Then I wait a good 10 minutes and replace skimmer basket.

I have thought about cleaning the filter. I only bought this house a couple of months ago and know the pool was built in 2006 and probably has never been cleaned. It kind of overwhelms me but I could be up to the challenge.

Oohhhh boy, that last bit is what worries me. So you have no idea when the filter was last cleaned?

My suggestion at this point would be to advise serious caution. Not sure what your "cup" of DE equates to in DE weight but I feel like you've added a lot.

I would seriously consider a deep cleaning of the filter. It's hard work but perhaps you can get a buddy to help you. I think your filter (and pool water) would greatly benefit from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a cleaning is certainly a good idea, although given that the pressure is rising, I am not sure there is actually a problem in there. But, still nice to eliminate that: Deep Cleaning your Sand Filter

Yeah. Sorry, I was not trying to scare anyone. I was just thinking that a +4 psi pressure rise in 24 hours outside of a SLAM seems odd to me. Taking that plus the unknown date of last deep cleaning and all I'm saying is that, if I were in the OPs shoes, I would deep clean.

Adding DE to any sand filter will certainly result in a pressure rise. How much that will be is totally unknown up front so it's really a trial & error process.

I will read over how to do it and tackle this project thanks for your help. It has probably never been done but who knows. The house was a foreclosure and there were stickers from a few different companies and I have gleaned some knowledge of the pools history by calling those companies.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will read over how to do it and tackle this project thanks for your help. It has probably never been done but who knows. The house was a foreclosure and there were stickers from a few different companies and I have gleaned some knowledge of the pools history by calling those companies.

Good luck. Post pictures if anything looks weird or damaged (use PhotoBucket app to allow for easy picture links). Plenty if help here on TFP for filter related issues.

Just a little update:

I think I had a plug somewhere. Things felt off with my pump and filter but not anything I could put my finger on. I figured I was just getting used to my pool. We had a ton of rain the last couple of days and I had to drain the pool. I used the waste on the filter. When I fired everything back up the pressure dropped to 15 when it was 19 before I drained. I noticed there is only one bubble in my pump basket when I had 2-3 15 minutes earlier. I also noticed my returns were a bit more powerful.
I have no idea what it could have been plugging whatever was plugged but everything is back the way it was before.

So I guess that's a no in the deep clean?

Pumping to Waste should just bypass the sand entirely but I'm not sure how that would alleviate any kind of plug in the internals of the filter. Seems kind of circumstantial to me.

If I were you, I'd still open her up and give her a good wash down. Sand filter maintenance can be a bear, but it could be very worthwhile in the end.

Whatever you choose, glad to hear you're back to "normal".

Pumping to Waste should just bypass the sand entirely but I'm not sure how that would alleviate any kind of plug in the internals of the filter. Seems kind of circumstantial to me.

If I were you, I'd still open her up and give her a good wash down. Sand filter maintenance can be a bear, but it could be very worthwhile in the end.

I booked closing through my local PB and h he said they are offering a winter special for $184.00 they will replace the sand in my filter. I know from this board replacing sand is not necessary but I really need to deep clean my filter and am thinking this will be a suitable alternative. Does this sound like a fair price?

Truthfully, I am game for almost anything but tearing apart my filter kinda makes me nervous especially after reading Darlene's thread. I am not half the woman she is.

It would cost you about $15 per 50 pounds of sand. Your filter needs 175 pounds of sand so 4 bags = $60. Your filter also recommends 50 lbs of pea gravel to be placed in first around the laterals. This gravel should be 1/8" to 1/4" size. You can find a 50 lb bag of this for same or less than sand. $15. $75 in materials if you do it yourself.

If you decide to have them do it, insist on them using pea gravel and sand as recommended. I'm not sure on the reasoning behind pea gravel then sand for Triton II filters but there must be a reason and perhaps other users can chime in on that.

The good thing about Triton filters is that they have a side mounted multiport valve, so it's very easy to get access to the top of the filter and the sand. Triton's also have a sand clean out drain valve. You can open this valve and flush the sand out by running water through it. This may be a way to replace only the sand and not the pea gravel but could leave quite a mess of sand where it drains out. It would be much easier to open the sand filter and drain the water out and suck out the sand/gravel with a shop vac when it's dry. Just don't damage laterals in the process of sand removal and replacement.

I'm not sure on the reasoning behind pea gravel then sand for Triton II filters but there must be a reason and perhaps other users can chime in on that.
I think the idea is not bad but also not necessary. I have a Triton TR-140 and chose to use only sand. It's been in operation for almost 10 years now without a hiccup.

I had the filter cleaned and they replaced the sand as part of the deal. They found a broken lateral when they got in there. Thanks for pushing me to clean this thing. I was seeing a small amount of sand in the pool and suspected as such. Being my first pool I wasn't quiet sure if that was normal or not. Now I know!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.