Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: what to do with a solar cover during winter

1. Back To Top    #1

what to do with a solar cover during winter

does ice harm a solar cover if i leave it on the pool throughout the winter?
    25,000 gal in ground concrete kidney shaped swimming pool approx. 25 years old with EC65 earth filter & a Hayward pump (I think it is a 1 1/2 Hp). Pump and filter are housed in shed out of the elements. Plumbing is 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: what to do with a solar cover during winter

I take mine off, roll it out across the yard and using the pool brush I scrub it with a bleach/water solution. Mine usually is grimy on the top due to leaves. I then leave it sit and dry out, then roll it back onto the reel and put it in the basement.

Leaving it on the pool will shorten its life.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, I not keep it on the pool, it will probably start disintegrating. We keep ours on its reel in the garage, which usually works well. Last year though we had some critter, probably a mouse, eat a hole through the rolled up layers of the cover.
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)

4. Back To Top    #4

One of those plastic deck boxes would probably work if you don't have a reel.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks for your responses
    25,000 gal in ground concrete kidney shaped swimming pool approx. 25 years old with EC65 earth filter & a Hayward pump (I think it is a 1 1/2 Hp). Pump and filter are housed in shed out of the elements. Plumbing is 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe