Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's all this talk about closing?

1. Back To Top    #1

What's all this talk about closing?

Why close the pool? The water was 83F and felt great.

weathersept14.jpg
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What's all this talk about closing?

Wow what heat....
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Jandy Automation /w IAqualink
    Autopilot SWG
    Jandy 2.0 HP VSP, Filter Cartridge
    Taylor (FAS-DPD K-2600, Pool Surface: Plaster

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like a world of never-ending happiness where you can always see the Sun, day or night.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Yep, we were doing water aerobics in the pool this morning and my water temp right now is 88 degrees.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Wednesday we were at 101 Saturday it was 57! Not exactly pool weather for sure.
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

6. Back To Top    #6

Richard, it was an unbearable 108 at the fair today, but a nice 88 in our pool when we got home. I couldn't even enjoy my pickle corn dog (boy was that gross). Stand by for Tuesday... Forecast of 111 for us in San Dimas!!!!
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

It was about 65F and cloudy in East TN today. I still went swimming. It was hummm...brisk!
    20 year old 19K gallon IG vinyl pool (new liner in 2014)
    Hayward 1HP Super Pump, VariFlow XL valve, sand filter
    AquaGenie skimmer, TF-100 test kit
    TroubleFree since 2014!

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a feeling it's going to be a bad winter here - squirrels are crazy eating these acorns - I have to clean this patio off 3 or 4 times a day. Squirrels are fat as hogs.
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

9. Back To Top    #9

GRRRR All you people.............here in Northern Illinois we did not have a SINGLE day above 90F this summer, the pool never got above 82F. Spent most of the summer looking at a solar cover, taking it off once a week to vacuum..........but the good news is that we finally got permission to fell a willow tree on the wetlands to the east, helped a ton with keeping things clean.........and I made it through an entire "summer" on 8 gallons of 12.5%............I have another 12 gallons or so that won't be worth a lot next spring, so if you want some PM me...........
    24 foot AG Vinyl, 10 year old wall, 1 year old liner
    Hayward 240T Sand (free!)
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump (free)
    BBB just ROCKS!

10. Back To Top    #10

How can 106 "feel" like 103? Wind chill factor? It was a cool and comfortable 105 in Yorba Linda yesterday (only felt like 102). Down to a chilly 101 forecast for today.
    Mike
    ~17' x 34' IG pool with attached spa - 20500 gallons - Gunite with a "pebblesheen"-ish finish
    Jandy iAqualink with iPad and Jandy PDA remote - Pentair IntelliFlo VS 11018 Pump
    AquaRite SWCG - Pentair SMBW 4060 DE Filter - Really Old Raypak heater
    "Wall-E" an Arneson-Hayward Navigator - A couple of Jandy/Zodiac WaterColors LED Lights - Blue-White F-1000 Flow meter

11. Back To Top    #11

We had a cool summer and I finally shut off the heater and figured the pool season was officially over. But, as I was staring at my crystal clear water yesterday, I shamed by daughter into taking one final swim with me. Air temp was 67 and water was 71. Very brisk but it felt good after the numbness set in. Oh well, another pool season has passed...

I wish our swimming season was as long as yours Richard. Maybe we need to move to sunny SoCal!
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by sbn56 View Post
    GRRRR All you people.............here in Northern Illinois we did not have a SINGLE day above 90F this summer, the pool never got above 82F.
    I feel ya. I'm in SE VA and I had only 6 weeks of warm water and it never went higher than 86. Today I removed my ladder, water at 70 and will not be climbing again.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Why close the pool? The water was 83F and felt great.
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

14. Back To Top    #14

Gotta close mine in October. Can't manage the leaves after about the middle of the month. Weather will be warm enough 'til then, water, too - thanks to a bit of natural gas heat....
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

15. Back To Top    #15

We are having our final pool party this Saturday. Suppose be 78 and sunny on Saturday. Will be starting the heater on Friday and swimming in a pleasant 85 degree pool Pool is 65 right now.
    18 x 54 Sharkline Matrix pool. 7800 gallons.
    Pentair Optiflo 1 1/2 HP 2 speed pump
    Pentair Clean and Clear 150 Sq Ft cartridge filter
    Hayward H100ID Heater. Purchased all from Poolsupplyworld. TF-100 TEST KIT

16. Back To Top    #16

5 days ago pool temp was at 88 F.
    After the cold front came through and dumped some cold rain, low pool temp was 74 F. Today was the first real sunny day (afternoon) since then and now pool is back up to 80 F.
    I think this is the first year in NE Louisiana history that we did not make it to 100 F.
    98 F is the hottest its been this year here with and extremely high humidity. Of course the year isn't over yet............
    Randy H.

Intex 18' X 48"
    G.A.M.E. Sandpro 75 Sand Filter (Single Speed 3/4 HP, 75 lbs sand, 2650 GPH, 7-way valve)

17. Back To Top    #17

I have been forced by the weather to abandon any hope of getting my pool back to swimmable temp. With highs only reaching at best the mid 70's, and overnight lows dropping into the low 50's, any gains I make with my small heater are taken back every day.

With too many other things needing my attention, I just don't have the time to devote to keeping a god hot fire in the heater. If the time was available, I'm sure I could keep the pool at least in the high 70's low 80's.

As projects get completed, I'll then be able to make improvements to my heater system, and get it plumbed into the main filtering/circulation system now that I have a "real" pool pump.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

18. Back To Top    #18

Pool has been around 89-90 for the past few days as it's been HOT here in SoCal. I live in north OC so I don't get any of the ocean breeze the beach and adjacent cities get. It's been 100 here for the past four days and I'm really done with this. Dang electricity bill will be well over $300 this month with all the AC running and that is just at night. We sweat it out during the day: windows open and spend as much time in the pool as possible. Last year during a hot spell our bill was over $400 so now we are sweating out the days as much as we can without AC REALLY looking forward to cooler weather...
    15'x35' IG 16,500 gallons w/attached raised 18" spa continuous coping w/underneath spill and ledger stone wrapped, NPT mini pebble aqua blue w/2x pigment & abalone shell finish, 2"x24" travertine coping, 3x Jandy Color LED lights (2 in pool), Jandy Flo Pro 2HP VS pump, Jandy LXI (low NOx) 400K BTU heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG, Jandy Z4 automation with iAqualink and remote poolside PDA, 1,300 sqft Belgard Catalina paver deck with drainage, fire pit that matches the spa with travertine coping and wrapped in ledger stone, Elitewood insulated patio cover, Vinyl gates, back vinyl fence coming soon...
    TF-100

19. Back To Top    #19

I got in Sunday, and I'll probably get in today and tomorrow. I am thinking of trying some homemade solar heat ideas I have to see if I can extend my season any.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

20. Back To Top    #20

Likely will be closing this weekend. Haven't checked temp since Sunday, but it was 60 degrees. Likely in the mid or upper 50s now.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast