Closing AG salt water pool; cover question and more

Jul 20, 2014
Bonanza OR
First I have to say I LOVE THIS SITE! It has been SO helpful and contains a wealth of information. I have an Intex 18x9x48 pool I bought at Costo, then bought an Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System, and the Baracuda Ranger Automatic Above-Ground Pool Cleaner, and they have worked fantastic! It truly has been trouble free. I live in Southern Oregon where it snows in the winter.

My questions:
The pool came with a cover, but I was going to buy a better one but cannot find ANYTHING for this size of pool. Any suggestions?

I'm guessing I should buy a pillow, but not sure what size/kind?

I am also unclear on what I need to add to the water before closing; do you close a salt water pool the same as a chlorine pool? I was thinking of getting this kit (mostly because it appears to have everything I will need? Or not?) http://www.doheny.com/poolsupplies/Winter-Closing-Master-Kit-3302.html

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me with any of my questions!

Barb

(I am also extremely jealous of those of you that live where you can use your pool year round; I would love nothing better than that!)

This is my second year closing my AG pool (salt water also). Everything was good after last year when I reopened and water was crystal clear so I take it I did it the right way. I just closed mine yesturday for this year. I bought the 7 year cover. It is green on the top side and black on the bottom site. It keeps the sunlight out and all the debri so your water should stay clear with the right pool closing kit. Yes the pool closing kit is great and alot cheaper since you are buying the stuff together in a kit. They did not have these kids this year at my store so I had to buy the stuff separate. Basically you should have 3 things in your kit. Algecide, Metal remover can't remember the name of it then some powder like oxidizer to help protect your linear. At least that is what was in my kits the last two years. Works great. My pool is a 24ft. so I pour 1 and a half jugs of chlorine in the night before and let it circulate. Then the next day I pump the water down to below the return jet. Then I will have my wife start dumping in the closing kit one bottle at a time as I mix it around with the brush to make sure nothing sits on the bottom. Then I put a pool float tub in the middle and put the cover on. I recommend buying a actual kids pool ring floater since the air pillows are cheap and break. I have not had one last yet but the good tough kids Canadian tire pool tub works great even through the worst winter we have seen. Other then that just make sure all your stuff is unhooked, take your pump inside and blow out your lines with like a leaf blower then I cap mine with ziplock bags and a zip tie. I actually take my salt water computer box off the post and bring it into the house also. Hope some of these tricks and tips help you out. This is how I close mine and it is fairly smooth. One last thing I have tried again this year putting the pool wrap around the cover to try and keep the wind out. Last year this just slide down the pool and came off but trying it one more time. When it is one it does wonders. Good Luck!

Great question and Welcome to TFP. :D
Just wanted to encourage you to read the thread on "closing an above ground pool." You don't need to buy a closing kit if you follow the forum's guidelines. The algaecide is optional for many but the chlorine FC levels are critical. The best time to close the pool is when the water temp is below 60, so the algae won't grow.
Then after the pool is closed, this winter you will have plenty of time to read up on the wealth of information on this site. Pool School, the forums, Pool Math.
Happy reading. ;)

Great question and Welcome to TFP. :D
Just wanted to encourage you to read the thread on "closing an above ground pool." You don't need to buy a closing kit if you follow the forum's guidelines. The algaecide is optional for many but the chlorine FC levels are critical. The best time to close the pool is when the water temp is below 60, so the algae won't grow.
Then after the pool is closed, this winter you will have plenty of time to read up on the wealth of information on this site. Pool School, the forums, Pool Math.
Happy reading. ;)

Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.