Seacoast, NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We have a cartridge filter. This is our 7th summer with the pool. We always have PB open and close and they clean the filter. Since my filter is oversized, the pressure has never gone up enough to need a cleaning in the summer before. Well, this time it did. Probably because the filters are now over 6 years old. Since it is 9/14 and our appointment to close the pool is 10/15 (later than what I'd like, but we called late. I'm not letting anyone other than this company that I trust touch my pool.)

Anyway, we decided that we'd better clean the filter. Got a small bore hose nozzle, a new trash can, and a bottle of Dawn. Cleaned a LOT of gunk out of the pleats and then let the filters soak in a solution of 2.5 cups of Dawn, 15 gallons of water. Took the filters out and set about rinsing them.

After 45 minutes of rinsing with soap still coming out, we got cold and tired and decided to pick up where we left off tomorrow. The amount of soap is definitely decreasing, but it's still there.

What's other peoples' experience on how long you need to rinse. Did we do something wrong, or do we just need to keep at it.

I have to say, as a once every 7 years chore, this was kind of fun. Seeing all that gunk in the filter and then getting it out. Except for the lingering soap issue.

Normal PC's would take your cartridges back to their store, one day soak in a mild acid bath followed by a half day in an alkaline bath. Then they are pressure washed off. Or you can use a simple weak degreaser and a good garden hose on jet spray. I fear your use of dish soap just means a lot if extra rinsing til all the soap residue is gone. Remember, the actual color of your cartridges is meaningless, holes or cuts are the more important factor.

I just sit my cartridges on the lawn and, using a hose with an adjustable nozzle, wash out each pleat starting at the top and working down. You may find you also need to wash out the pleats on the inside of the cartridge. No dish soap used, just plain water, and this method has worked well for me.

I just sit my cartridges on the lawn and, using a hose with an adjustable nozzle, wash out each pleat starting at the top and working down. You may find you also need to wash out the pleats on the inside of the cartridge. No dish soap used, just plain water, and this method has worked well for me.

__ +1 ___

My filters are much smaller since it's a spa filter (pool is sand filter), but I've found dishwasher soap works very well and rinses off easily. Mine fits in a 5 gallon bucket so 5 gallons of water and a standard dishwasher load size scoop. Soak overnight and rinse.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.